Online medical terminology summer class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerngirl100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an accredited school that offers this course online, preferably during the first half of the summer? Self paced would be awesome as well, so that I could finish early and not have to have it last for the entire summer. I need it to be relatively affordable, so I am thinking that a local community college would be the best option possibly. However, the local community college classes last for a full two months, so I would like to find an affordable class that I could finish sooner.

Members don't see this ad.

Houston Community College offers online Medical Terminology.

Eastern Michigan University has 2 offers: 5/6 and 7/1 (AHPR 200- Medical Terminology). You work on your own pace so a person can finish very early if desired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever used Core Excel for any CEU's or Medical Terminology course?

UCSD Extension offers an online Medical Terminology class for $195.
It's self-paced, but expected that you complete it within 3 weeks of registering.
You have to buy the book which is about $40-50 off Amazon.

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://extension.ucsd.edu/studyarea/index.cfm?vAction=singleCourse&vCourse=FPM-40172

I signed up for it but haven't started the course yet. When I'm done with it I'll request a transcript to be sent to my school.

UCSD Extension offers an online Medical Terminology class for $195.
It's self-paced, but expected that you complete it within 3 weeks of registering.
You have to buy the book which is about $40-50 off Amazon.

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://extension.ucsd.edu/studyarea/index.cfm?vAction=singleCourse&vCourse=FPM-40172

I signed up for it but haven't started the course yet. When I'm done with it I'll request a transcript to be sent to my school.

Does anyone know if the one credit unit awarded for this course is actually accredited college level credit or if it is continuing education credit instead? I like that this course can be completed sooner than the community college course I signed up for. I wonder if they charge out of state fees.

Does anyone know if the one credit unit awarded for this course is actually accredited college level credit or if it is continuing education credit instead? I like that this course can be completed sooner than the community college course I signed up for. I wonder if they charge out of state fees.

The UC Extensions are accredited same as the UC's. This is taken off the web site:

Accreditation
UC San Diego is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). UC San Diego Extension—like all other UC San Diego schools, colleges, and departments—is accredited by WASC through the University. All courses and certificate programs offered by UC San Diego Extension have been developed and are administered in accordance with Extension policy and the regulations of the Academic Senate of the University of California.

You can take the class for a grade and have that transcript sent to your school.
I don't think they charge out-of-state fees, seems like a flat rate of $195.
Hope that helps!

Would you be able to get a transcript from them to send to the schools or OTCAS?
I personally did not take this course. My friend did and she recommended it too me because I still need to take medical terminology. But I think I am taking it through my University next semester instead so I can get credit. With this course you don't get school credit. It is just a certification that you took a medical terminology course.
If you pass the final exam you will get a certificate of completion. I have also read that schools require you to print out a copy of the final exam provided at the end along with the certificate. My friend said the course was awesome. I hope this answered your question? Sorry I don't know more.

Do you think if I could use this class for a graduate school pre-req that is on the east coast? I'm not sure how accreditation works, but if it's only accredited by WASC, I'm assuming schools on the east are not accredited by the "Western Association of Schools and Colleges?"

Do you think if I could use this class for a graduate school pre-req that is on the east coast? I'm not sure how accreditation works, but if it's only accredited by WASC, I'm assuming schools on the east are not accredited by the "Western Association of Schools and Colleges?"

That's not how accreditation works - as long as it's accredited by someone, it's accredited. There is no one overarching national accreditation board for all schools, and schools are grouped by locale (Western, Eastern, Southeastern, etc) or by a particular focus (ie, music schools are accredited by a governing body specifically for music schools, and then usually the regional accreditation agency). The point is, it's accredited, so it should be fine :)

would the class factor into your gpa or is it just for credit?

BYU Online has Med Term online, so does Clovis Community College in Clovis, NM

Saddleback College just opened its Medical Terminology course online. It's under Health Sciences HSC 201. You learn lot, pretty popular there

I took the USC San diago extension class and not all of my schools accepted it since they viewed it as one quarter credit not semester. I then had to also take BYUs independent study and all my schools accepted it and I actually learned a lot!

Reactions: 1 user
Medical Terminology Course Online | Accredited Class

I'm taking this one because you can do it for credit and some schools REQUIRE it be a credit, not just a certification. It's also self-paced which is nice and I looked at the modules and it seems very thorough. I haven't started, I'll be starting in a few weeks after I take the GRE!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took it at my school, but it was only offered as a Pass/Fail course so I have to take it again. Make sure you can get a letter grade wherever you take it!
I'm going to retake it at a community college near my house bc they offer it online as a 3cr course.

I took the USC San diago extension class and not all of my schools accepted it since they viewed it as one quarter credit not semester. I then had to also take BYUs independent study and all my schools accepted it and I actually learned a lot!
How were the exams? i dont have the CD so I only have the textbook to go by and would love some feedback if you have any on how specific the exam was. Thank you!