Online MSW or Campus MSW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aa442289

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello --

I am looking for opinions on Online MSW's versus Campus MSW's. I am interested in an online MSW program because I do not know where the next year or two will take me and I find the ability to go wherever very appealing. In addition, in order to begin a Campus MSW, I would have to wait to Fall 2015 to begin (as applications for Fall 2014 have already closed), but to begin an Online MSW, I would be able to start in the next few months (and I am anxious to begin my education!)

I am looking for any advice on legitimacy of online versus campus MSW's or any guidance in making this decision!

Thank you and have a great day! :)

Members don't see this ad.

This thread will probably be moved, I think, but in Psychology anyways, online programs are not looked highly upon. Regardless of reputation, I don't feel like you can gain the in-vivo patient contact experience needed online.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm not mistaking I don't believe you'll find a 100% online msw accredited by the csw. What I mean by that is although programs exist that have all the coursework online there is still the fieldwork requirement. If you get placed in a good field placement with good supervisors I don't think an online degree would be the worst thing in the world. However, I can't begin to tell you how much I have gained from the direct contact that I have with my professors and classmates.

Ikibah, is USC not accredited? There are several online programs at the CSWE's website that are accredited. They also have many schools that are open to students from anywhere in the country. I have a colleague that goes to USC online. Her field placement is virtual but there are physical placement options available as well.
To answer the OP's question, there are legitimate programs and many offer "live" classes. Have you taken any online classes, perhaps in undergrad? I second what Ikibah said about securing a quality field placement. It makes all the difference in the world. You will learn a copious amount of information and hopefully be able to apply what you are learning in your classes. If you have a subpar field placement it could be disastrous.
Again, I agree with Ikibah and question whether I would have made the valuable connections with my professor and cohort in a online format. My experiences thus far have been rich and I personally cant imagine taking Groups or Racism and Oppression in a virtual setting. Just my three cents. Feel free to ask any other questions that may come to mind. No holds bar

Wow Sub I had no idea that USC''s program doesn't require a physical field placement! That's really interesting. Do you know how the virtual field placement that your friend is enrolled in works?

Ikibah,
I haven't the slightest idea. I think she began to explain it to me in a email but I was lost at "virtual field placement" and kind of glazed over the rest of it. Let me find out how it works and I will let you know.

I just copied this from the site. If this is against regulations I am sure somebody will flag me or alert the moderators.

Virtual Field Placement (VFP)

As a student in the MSW@USC program, you will complete 210 hours of Virtual Field Practicum (VFP) before beginning in-person fieldwork at a placement site. VFP is designed to help you acclimate to a clinical setting by beginning your fieldwork in USC’s unique virtual learning environment. All VFP takes place in small groups and is monitored by a USC faculty member, who will act as a mentor and coach.

As with your classes, you will log in to the MSW@USC’s online platform and meet with fellow classmates and a professor live and in real time. You will also work with a client, portrayed by an actor simulating concerns and issues encountered in the real world.

VFP allows you to build your confidence in a secure environment so that you can begin your community-based field placement armed with the tools you need to make an immediate impact.

So, you begin with a virtual field placement and then you are at a physical one

All programs require an actual physical practicum placement, whether it's an online program or not. The USC program starts out with a virtual one (which sounds to me like an online classroom), followed by an actual placement. Online or face to face, it's really your preference; I believe you can have a good education either way. Just make sure to choose a program that actually places their students in quality practicum sites.

Personally, I would hesitate to go to an online program because I don't think you can effectively interact with classmates and teachers that way. However, for those living in rural areas and nontraditional students who are working, online programs are a good option.

Ahh, yea that makes more sense. Very interesting concept in that virtual field placement idea...

Ahh, yea that makes more sense. Very interesting concept in that virtual field placement idea...

It doesn't seem terrible. Maybe odd in the way its set up, but as long as there is a physical placement as well, I don't see the problem.

Yea I agree, I was just saying it's cool.