Online publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Volvulus10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a long time. Starting to put together my CV for cardiology fellowships and have been thinking about what counts as a publication. I'm lucky enough to be invested in real research and have 1st author manuscripts in major journals BUT i also enjoy medical writing. I have two articles published in the in-training and in-house websites and I'm not sure if I should include them in my ERAS application or not. I'm not including them to bulk up my application but I am proud of these writings nonetheless. What do you guys think? Would or have you included these types of publications?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, it's been a long time. Starting to put together my CV for cardiology fellowships and have been thinking about what counts as a publication. I'm lucky enough to be invested in real research and have 1st author manuscripts in major journals BUT i also enjoy medical writing. I have two articles published in the in-training and in-house websites and I'm not sure if I should include them in my ERAS application or not. I'm not including them to bulk up my application but I am proud of these writings nonetheless. What do you guys think? Would or have you included these types of publications?

I was in a similar position and put them on. My rationale was that it showed an interest in a different part of academic medicine, being concrete contributions to education. That kind of stuff is commonly what makes up a part of a clinical educator CV.

I was in a similar position and put them on. My rationale was that it showed an interest in a different part of academic medicine, being concrete contributions to education. That kind of stuff is commonly what makes up a part of a clinical educator CV.

Thanks for the reply. That is my rationale as well. I'll throw a sentence in my personal statement about writing op-eds and position pieces. Thanks. Any other opinions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it should not be listed and it would rub me the wrong way as disingenuous. Where do we draw the line? Next, every chalk talk you give on the wards will be a publication. Stick to peer-reviewed journal publications and abstracts at major conferences.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it should not be listed and it would rub me the wrong way as disingenuous. Where do we draw the line? Next, every chalk talk you give on the wards will be a publication. Stick to peer-reviewed journal publications and abstracts at major conferences.

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't go as far as to say a chalk talk is equal to a peer-reviewed article posted online, even if it just a website. (and I get you were just using that as an example).

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't go as far as to say a chalk talk is equal to a peer-reviewed article posted online, even if it just a website. (and I get you were just using that as an example).

Ya I disagree with the other poster. As I mentioned several attendings at my program list things like this in their Educator Portfolio, it’s a way to quantify how you contribute to academics outside of research articles. Not everyone is a researcher. People wouldn’t list chalk talks, but they would list regular and frequent noon conferences, med student classes taught, grand rounds etc. That being said my program tends to place a lot of value on educator portfolios as a way for attendings to gain promotions. I can’t imagine anyone is going to think poorly of you for listing something like this on ERAS, and if they did, that’s not a place I would personally want to be.