Online Resources for Psychiatry Interns--Need Research Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordan222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am working with a psychiatrist this summer to develop a collaborative care model with several of the primary care clinics in our area. We are trying to innovate upon existing collaborative care models by developing a multifaceted educational component to teach busy primary care doctors concise clinical pearls and algorithms they can apply to patient care. We have thus far been developing resources on topics we think are useful in helping PCPs feel comfortable going one step deeper with their care for moderate depression, anxiety, and insomnia given the dearth of psychiatrists in the area (ex. how to choose the right SSRI, how to properly dose SSRIs, how to taper off drugs like duloxetine, when and which antipsychotics to prescribe, motivational interviewing, when and which psychotherapy modalities to recommend, etc.).

We are building our own algorithms, flowcharts, and short videos at this point which has the benefit of allowing us to be targeted for our local community needs/interests, but we are hoping there might be good resources out there for us to learn from and perhaps use so we aren't reinventing the wheel. To that end, my PI has asked me to figure out what resources (preferably short online videos) incoming psych interns have used to build their psych skills from the MS3/4 level to the resident level in terms of caring for patients with depression, anxiety, and insomnia. In my experiences in medical school thus far, there are fantastic resources for learning very basic med school-level psychiatry (ex. OME, BB, Kaplan) but I am not familiar with any psych learning resources for a level more advanced than that.

Any ideas or insights? I could certainly peruse textbooks for information and I plan to do so, but I'm hoping there are more efficient resources that I could either share with the PCPs or distill into content I could share with them.

Thank you so much for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don’t think there are any good resources tbh

I don't know of any videos at the resident level (such things exist for knowledge that you would be expected to learn from a clerkship). In terms of developing treatment algorithms and to get an overview of a topic, however, simply reviewing clinical guidelines would probably be your best bet. Here are a few papers on the topics you mentioned to get you started:

Insomnia - Sateia et al. "Clinical practice guidelines for the pharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia in adults: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine clinical practice guideline." Clinical Practice Guideline for the Pharmacologic Treatment of Chronic Insomnia in Adults: An American Academy of Sleep Medicine Clinical Practice ... - PubMed - NCBI

Anxiety - Baldwin et al. "Evidence-based pharmacological treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. Evidence-based pharmacological treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. - PubMed - NCBI

Depression - Kupfer, Frank, and Phillips. "Major depressive disorder: new clinical, neurobiological, and treatment perspectives." Major depressive disorder: new clinical, neurobiological, and treatment perspectives

As above, I'm skeptical that you will find much in the way of specific modules like you're talking about, though my guess is that they probably exist. Instead, you will probably just need to comb the literature and come up with your own stuff if that's how detailed you want to get.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for your help. I have a somewhat related question--what point-of-care tool is best for psychiatry? In my work we have identified that the traditional point-of-care tools used by our PCPs (UptoDate and DynaMed primarily) cover behavioral health topics but they are not concise or specific enough to be practice changing, and so our PCPs find themselves still following behaviors that are counter to what most psychiatrists would recommend (ex. frequently using sub-therapeutic doses of SSRIs, prescribing bupropion for anxiety, not choosing between SSRIs very thoughtfully).

To that end, we have been developing a much more concise and partially algorithmic point-of-care tool to fill that void and hopefully change behaviors for our PCPs. As we almost have our first draft, I'm realizing that perhaps there are tools like ours out there that I'm just not familiar with. Do you know of any good, targeted psychiatric point-of-care tools?