Online to brick and mortar college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navyvetsurgtech

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a situation such as mine posted anywhere else within this forum, so maybe some insight from all you future dentists. A little background: Did horrible in highschool, joined the navy for five years. Became a surgical technologist and ended up working in oral surgery for 4+ years. During that time I "earned" a BS in healthcare administration from an online school. I reevaluated my career choice, and realized dentistry is where I belong. Love it, my wife loves it, and she also wants to become a hygenist. Anyways, got out the Navy and I applied to the College of Charleston and got accepted. Currently I'm a business administration major with a biomedical physcis minor, presuming I succeed and find an interest in the sciences. Now, I have a couple different questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to. First, if I complete all the dental school prerequisites and some tough science electives (calc. 2, nanotechnology, biochem, histology, A&P, biophysics, etc.), and do well; whats the opinion on me taking all these prereq science courses and applying to a dental school with my degree from another instititution(since most, if not all schools like to see an undergrad completed)? I graduated from the online school with a 3.8. Should I just continue on the path of earning a full degree from the College of Charleston, and building a bigger and better package with two degrees, working and life experience, and military service? Of course I'm eager to get accepted into a dental school sooner rather than later since I will be 25 this summer. I'm hoping I can just continue down my business major with science minor, since I have an interest in both; if of course my online degree isnt sufficient. Any insight, criticism, or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.