Online vs On Campus?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by Irradiated, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Irradiated

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have a question regarding MPH programs. Aside from med school, I am seriously considering a Master of Public Health degree. The thing is, I work full time as a CAT scan technologist, and cannot afford to matriculate as a traditional, on-campus student were I to go with an MPH. Do you guys (and gals) feel an online MPH to be just as viable as a traditional program? I am looking at UNE's online MPH, FYI.

Thanks!
    -Nick

2. erikalindsay

erikalindsay caffeinated
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Honestly, since you're not already a public health professional, I would highly highly highly recommend that you do an on campus program. You could always go part time. Public health has been SO much about networking that it would be really difficult to find opportunities and jobs without getting to know (well!) the people in the field.

Good luck!

3. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you do decide to do an online program, make sure it's CEPH accredited. I just found out my online program isn't CEPH accredited and I am just gonna get my certificate instead. But honestly, I would recommend on-campus, because you miss a lot of the classroom interaction online.

4. troopa

troopa Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One of the great things about public health classes is the discussions that go on among students...it is there that you bounce ideas off one another and really learn in-depth about the issues at hand. As for $$ issues, I would recommend applying and dealing with the finances after you have your acceptance letters in hand!