Online vs On Campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irradiated

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding MPH programs. Aside from med school, I am seriously considering a Master of Public Health degree. The thing is, I work full time as a CAT scan technologist, and cannot afford to matriculate as a traditional, on-campus student were I to go with an MPH. Do you guys (and gals) feel an online MPH to be just as viable as a traditional program? I am looking at UNE's online MPH, FYI.

Thanks!
-Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, since you're not already a public health professional, I would highly highly highly recommend that you do an on campus program. You could always go part time. Public health has been SO much about networking that it would be really difficult to find opportunities and jobs without getting to know (well!) the people in the field.

Good luck!

If you do decide to do an online program, make sure it's CEPH accredited. I just found out my online program isn't CEPH accredited and I am just gonna get my certificate instead. But honestly, I would recommend on-campus, because you miss a lot of the classroom interaction online.

One of the great things about public health classes is the discussions that go on among students...it is there that you bounce ideas off one another and really learn in-depth about the issues at hand. As for $$ issues, I would recommend applying and dealing with the finances after you have your acceptance letters in hand!