1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Only 1 school on my primary app for now?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Eastern Blot, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Eastern Blot

Pre-Medical
    I submitted my primary app about a week ago and I am taking the MCAT in one week. On my primary app I only included 4 schools, rather than the total intended ~15 schools. This way if I somehow bomb the MCAT I won't have wasted all that money on all those schools. Thoughts on this approach?
    Thank you.

Edit: If and when I receive my MCAT score and see it is satisfactory, I will add the remaining schools (11 more) at that point.. approximately the first week of Sept.
    Additionally, I plan to write all the secondary essays for each of the 15 schools after my MCAT test date, while I wait to receive my scores.
    Does that make sense?

#1 Eastern Blot, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TxResident

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I honestly don't understand the correlation between thread title and what you're stating but I'm going to just go off of what you stated.

So basically you want to save money since you don't know your MCAT score so you only applied to 4 schools. If you bombed the MCAT (I hope that you're not hoping for this >_>) then you'll have saved some money. If you just destroyed the MCAT (not literal....), then you just screwed your chances with 11 other possible schools.

Imo, I would have just gone ahead and applied to the other 11 since not having a year off and going to medical school > saving some money then having to pay for the fees again (note you have to pay for the four previously applied to).

4. sector9

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's fine.

Use the search tool. Or look around before posting. I 've answered this question once already today (in the proper thread too) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11359513&postcount=1963

That was a waste of a thread.

5. dippindots

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I took the MCAT July 6th, and this is exactly what I'm doing until I get my scores.

Not really - most schools won't look at the application until the MCAT scores are in anyways. Whether the OP adds the schools now or after receiving scores will not affect when it's reviewed.

6. TxResident

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    @dippindots; Not exactly sure how AMCAS works tbh (only submitted TMDSAS atm, working on AMCAS... late I know) and I don't know if he can add schools after submitting AMCAS. But after 10 seconds of Google searching, you can. I was just worried since TMDSAS kind of locks you down on school selection after submitting. But in light of new information, seems like a good plan.

7. sector9

Medical Student
    Good call. That was bad advice.

You are definitely NOT screwing over your chances at the other 11 schools

8. sector9

Medical Student
    AMCAS has a website set up for a reason... If OP had read it, s/he would understand more about the application process

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147906/aftersub_shared_2.2.html

9. TxResident

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    And yes it is a good idea to start prewriting the secondaries. Doesn't hurt (well it does, but it would hurt more not to when you get a good score).

10. Eastern Blot

Pre-Medical
    Wow, I'm sorry I didn't thoroughly research a website before I asked my question. Thanks for your positive words of encouragement, Sector.

11. sector9

Medical Student
    You're welcome.