Only 1 semester of ochem lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hitmann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman and I was looking at some of the courses my major offered (biochem) and I saw that there was only one semester of orgo chem lab. Everything else is fine though, I'm taking Gen Chem I this semester and planning on taking Bio I and Gen Chem II next. Is this something I should worry about?

Members don't see this ad.

Why're you taking Bio I during the second semester? Wouldn't it be easier to start it with Chem now so you can finish it up this year?

Why should you worry about it? Take courses when they fit your schedule, and kick ass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why're you taking Bio I during the second semester? Wouldn't it be easier to start it with Chem now so you can finish it up this year?

I was in one of the last groups scheduled for orientation. We picked our classes on that day so pretty much everything was filled up or ended in schedule conflicts. Currently I'm taking 16 credits, Calc II (4), Chem + Lab (5), some writing (3), some cirriculum course (3), freshman seminar (1). I know taking bio early is beneficial since it opens you up to upper level courses faster but I think my current route is still doable.

Why should you worry about it? Take courses when they fit your schedule, and kick ass.

Isn't 2 semesters of ochem and lab a pre-med requirement tho?

I was in one of the last groups scheduled for orientation. We picked our classes on that day so pretty much everything was filled up or ended in schedule conflicts. Currently I'm taking 16 credits, Calc II (4), Chem + Lab (5), some writing (3), some cirriculum course (3), freshman seminar (1). I know taking bio early is beneficial since it opens you up to upper level courses faster but I think my current route is still doable.

Many schools let you use biochem lab in place of 1 semester ochem lab. Also, some schools don't even require 2 semesters of ochem lab. Look into schools you may want to apply to in the future, and decide if you need to take another course elsewhere.

My school had only 1 semester of ochem lab, but it was worth 4 credits, 9 hours a week in lab plus lecture. It was a mission.

If your school only offers one semester, then it's probably worth more than one credit, right? Requirements are usually judged in terms of credit hours, e.g. you need 8 hours of organic chemistry with lab. At my school, each semester of orgo lecture was 3.5 hours and the lab was 3, so I haven't had any problems with med school requirements. A med school will see the credit hours and it will be fine.

That explains it. Best of luck to you, lad.