Only 6 interviews so far, almost none from NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holdtabdown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a US MD senior and I applied to about 35 programs. My school is down south but I mainly applied to the Northeast area since I am originally from there. So far, I have heard only from 1 in NYC. 3 in Boston, 1 in NJ and 1 in Philly.
As far as the programs I heard back from, 3-4 of them are middle/upper level places, at least judging from the rankings talked about on SDN.

Is there a reason why I have not heard more from NYC? The bulk of my applications are to programs there. Should I start applying to more programs?

My stats:

Step 1 passed, but only with a 210.
No deficiencies on my courses and did not repeat anything.
Scored well in Psych rotation, actually my highest grade out of all my rotations with a 94%
Have 3 recommendations, one from psych and one from family med.

Possible demerits:
Have not taken Step 2 but scheduled to take them soon
Submitted application late on Sept 25.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if it helps you or not to know this, but I also haven't heard ANYTHING from any NYC programs... I applied to AE Montefiore, NYU, SUNY downstate, Beth Israel, and Maimonides. I'm a DO student, slightly below avg board scores, no red flags, good LORs, and 13 interviews from places mostly in the midwest, some more competitive than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have 6 interviews also and I'm getting concerned too! Is there a time by which I should assume I have gotten all my interviews?

I'm still a year away from all this oozing stress, but you guys need to chill out.

I heard from a resident that NYC was later than most with their invites, at least she said that was true in her case when she applied.

My impression is that NY tends to be on the later side for inviting.