Only have 10 of the 15 AMCAS EC's. Should I find another 5 before June?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeezuswest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a general sentiment out there that to be a competitive applicant, you need to have at least all 15 of the AMCAS extracurricular spots filled out. Unfortunately, I did not technically become a pre-med until about halfway through college, at which point I had very limited extracurricular involvement. With next cycle less than a year away, would it look like resume padding at this point if I tried to fill in those last 5 spots?

Members don't see this ad.

no, that sentiment (if it exists) is wrong, you're fine, quality>quantity, etc etc etc etc ad infinitum go have a beer

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a general sentiment out there that to be a competitive applicant, you need to have at least all 15 of the AMCAS extracurricular spots filled out. Unfortunately, I did not technically become a pre-med until about halfway through college, at which point I had very limited extracurricular involvement. With next cycle less than a year away, would it look like resume padding at this point if I tried to fill in those last 5 spots?
Listing ten decent activities will put you at right about average among applicants. If you add five more to pad it, it will look like . . . fluff. Don't do that.

You don't need to fill all 15 slots. Where does this sentiment come from? It's about quality, not quantity.

Reactions: 1 user
The view of the premed advising office at one Top 20 national university is that you should fill up all 15 slots. This school has a pretty good track record of sending people to med school.

However, it is clear from this thread that others view this differently.

no, that sentiment (if it exists) is wrong, you're fine, quality>quantity, etc etc etc etc ad infinitum go have a beer

Or go learn to brew beer. There's a good activity

Even with good GPA/MCAT, use padded applications to pad the "low probability" pile.
:lol::lol:

To OP: with a lengthier life than you, I still only filled out 12 of the 15. (with this, I'm also working on one of my many weaknesses!) :)

YES - go out and help a old lady cross the street, then a cripple, then an old man, then a kid, then pick up something in a hospital for someone.

There you have your 15 :D

Try to do something significant with the 10 you already have. Leadership position, poster/publication, award, additional responsibilities, etc.

15 is the max, not the goal. I filled up like 7 spots. I am not a premed advising office from a top 20 school but I do have a good track record of being sent to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
There is nothing I loath more then to read an application filled with insincere, fluffed, stretched, exaggerated, and otherwise silly information that has nothing to show a true pattern of motivation, commitment and achievement of an applicant. Even with good GPA/MCAT, use padded applications to pad the "low probability" pile.

What exactly is considered fluff? I volunteered at a soup kitchen for about 2 months during a semester. About 10 sessions 2 hours each (~20 hours). Would that be considered fluff, even though the experience was meaningful to me?

What exactly is considered fluff? I volunteered at a soup kitchen for about 2 months during a semester. About 10 sessions 2 hours each (~20 hours). Would that be considered fluff, even though the experience was meaningful to me?

That's good and is not considered fluff I would say. Just make sure you say why it was meaningful!

Woah, 15? What the heck are people doing...? I can count on one hand the extra activities I'm involved in right now and I thought I was doing pretty decently. If I added anything else things would start to overlap and I wouldn't have time to study.