Only have first year grades on undergrad transcript- sophomore, junior, and senior year are all P/F.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolidLucidity

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the forum and finding all the information very useful.

I had one question I was hoping you guys could help me with. I've been trying to discern my chances at Postbacc programs and Medical Schools in general, but am dealing with a unique situation in terms of my GPA.

I went to Brown as an undergraduate and my first year got a cumulative 3.4 GPA, however, right at the end of the year, I became seriously ill and was forced to make a choice- either temporarily drop out or continue school but with the caveat of taking all classes Pass/Fail. Unlike a lot of colleges, Brown allows its' students to take any class Pass/Fail.

So, basically, I have a 3.4 GPA for my entire first year and all Passes for my classes sophomore, junior, and senior years.

Any idea how this will affect my chances of admission at either Postbaccs or future medical schools? Will it be accepted as a normal 3.4 gpa or a complete disaster and I should forget the notion of medical school entirely?

Oh, and just to clarify, after I graduated college I successfully survived my medical condition and ended up finding working in a variety of fields from publishing to technology start-ups so there is no problem with my health now.

I plan to write my essays on surviving my condition and how it inspired a new perspective on science and my desire to become a doctor.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly have no idea, OP. I'm curious to see what people say. I think a post-bacc would be in your best interest though. Take the classes that medical school requires with the pressure of needing to get A's in them and not just pass. Even if it has to be a DIY post-bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea who I could call to ask for clarification/information?

Would AMCAS know?

Thanks so much for your help!

Call the admissions office of one or more of your in-state schools, if you have them. But in general, for someone with your history, I would say 1-2 years of FT science classes (for grades) would be advisable. Not only to prove that you can do it, but also to prepare you for the MCAT and for the rigor of medical school coursework. You don't need to necessarily enroll in a formal post bac or SMP, although those are options. A DIY postbac that comprises a year or two worth of science courses (including upper level courses) would be more than fine.