Only have the GPA to apply to one or two Canadian schools. Need to retake MCAT. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SillyCactus

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Bachelor of Science graduate in Canada that transferred into a B.Eng because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do/engineers in the family recommended I try it out. I recently decided that I wanted to apply to Med School and took some time off to study for the MCAT. I got a 498 on the MCAT and I'm a little disappointed that I need to write it again (I've heard some schools take the average MCAT score rather than your best score). I didn't take organic chem in my science undergrad (partly due to poor degree planning) and I'm thinking I should probably take that course in order to improve my background.

As of now, assuming I can improve my MCAT, I think I could apply to just a couple of schools here in Canada (Dalhousie, U of Manitoba and McMaster I think) with my present GPA (cGPA = 3.1, last two years of Bsc = 3.5 each).

Has anyone gained admission to med school by applying to just a couple schools? I'm worried about my prospects since my GPA seems to keep me from casting a wide net.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian schools generally take your most recent MCAT score, so that's not the issue.

Your GPA is a huge issue, though. Your chance of acceptance anywhere with a 3.5 is abysmal unless your volunteering/work/research/etc. are very strong, and you haven't mentioned those in your post.

You options include:
- Apply to the schools you mentioned, but unless your volunteering, etc. is awesome, you'd likely be wasting you money.
- Take another two years of undergrad and get 3.8+, but first think hard about whether you have the study skills to do this, given your poor MCAT score
- Apply to American DO schools (after re-taking the MCAT and getting 505+), but please thoroughly research your likelihood of obtaining a Canadian residency afterwards
- Research other health professions you may be interested in, which I feel is your best option at this time

BTW what was your CARS score? In which province do have residence, if you don't mind sharing?