Only one DO school...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by femdoc, Oct 19, 2002.

1. femdoc

femdoc Senior Member

There's only one DO school in Chicago, can't go out of state. Anyone else in same situation?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

why can't you go out of state?

I'm from cali.....i applied to ccom...i would love to be in chicago

4. femdoc

femdoc Senior Member

Because my spouse works for the city in a very stable, well-paying position, we have a house, kids, etc. Uprooting is not a option for me.

5. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!

I'm in a very similar situation. My husband has such a good job that if we were to relocate, I don't think we could afford for me to go to med school at all. He is extremely supportive of me wanting to be a doctor but we have had to make some compromises in order for me to be able to do this. I agreed to only apply to the local school, which for me is TUCOM, and if I didn't get in, then I agreed to wait at least one or two more years before applying to any other school to give my husband enough time to find a comparable job.

I think that many of us, especially those with kids, have to make really tough decisions about medical school. I really wanted to attend TUCOM and go to an osteopathic school but had to agree to apply to MD schools nearby if I couldn't go to Touro. I was really lucky and got into TUCOM and so many of my problems were solved with my acceptance there.

6. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I was in the exact same situation. I applied to only one school...just made sure that I had a great application first to improve my chances.

Good luck!

7. slave4MD

slave4MD Member

Yes. I am in the same situation. I am a also woman with a husband and three children.

However, you will be undergoing a medical education only one ( if you get in, that is ) and can have a great bearing on your future. Hence, I am tempted to go out of state if I get into a prestigious medical school that is far off on the other end of the coast.

Make sure your motivation doesn't fail, because I'm driven crazy by what I'm trying to do and I can't live with myself if I don't get in somewhere good, which is a good thing because that's why I'm at where I am now. Don't worry about what your parents or your family thinks. You live once, so go do it.

Good luck, bro.