femdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2000
USA
Visit site
Status
There's only one DO school in Chicago, can't go out of state. Anyone else in same situation?

SM-UCLA tech

CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
why can't you go out of state?

I'm from cali.....i applied to ccom...i would love to be in chicago

OP
F

femdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2000
USA
Visit site
Status
Because my spouse works for the city in a very stable, well-paying position, we have a house, kids, etc. Uprooting is not a option for me.

About the Ads

maysqrd

Go A's!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
I'm in a very similar situation. My husband has such a good job that if we were to relocate, I don't think we could afford for me to go to med school at all. He is extremely supportive of me wanting to be a doctor but we have had to make some compromises in order for me to be able to do this. I agreed to only apply to the local school, which for me is TUCOM, and if I didn't get in, then I agreed to wait at least one or two more years before applying to any other school to give my husband enough time to find a comparable job.

I think that many of us, especially those with kids, have to make really tough decisions about medical school. I really wanted to attend TUCOM and go to an osteopathic school but had to agree to apply to MD schools nearby if I couldn't go to Touro. I was really lucky and got into TUCOM and so many of my problems were solved with my acceptance there.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
I was in the exact same situation. I applied to only one school...just made sure that I had a great application first to improve my chances.

Good luck!

slave4MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Status
Yes. I am in the same situation. I am a also woman with a husband and three children.

However, you will be undergoing a medical education only one ( if you get in, that is ) and can have a great bearing on your future. Hence, I am tempted to go out of state if I get into a prestigious medical school that is far off on the other end of the coast.

Make sure your motivation doesn't fail, because I'm driven crazy by what I'm trying to do and I can't live with myself if I don't get in somewhere good, which is a good thing because that's why I'm at where I am now. Don't worry about what your parents or your family thinks. You live once, so go do it.

Good luck, bro.

About the Ads