Only one interview so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munbue

Roy Munson
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should start freaking out? I have only been invited to one interview and my application was turned in august 25th. My only interview was two weeks ago at BU...all second apps have been in atleast that long, but non of the schools have sent anything further...

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools did you apply too? It could be a numbers thing, meaning that if you only applyed to 5 or 6 schools that is normal depending on the schools you applied to, because some schools are slower than others. You see people on this board who have already had 7 or 8 interview probably applied to 15 to 20 schools. So don't feel to bad yet. If it's January/Feb and you haven't heard anything.......I might start to worry.

I applied to 12 schools:
BU
Un. of Colorado
Un. of Illinois
UCSF
MUSC
UF
Un. of Washington
Nova
Un. of Kansas
temple
alabama
Iowa

I'm just worried because acceptance letters will be sent soon...
Anyway thanks for your reply, Im feeling better... atleast for a little longer
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
OUCH! Many of those schools you applied to don't accept out of staters. Over half.

Why do I have to suck so bad..........

Always research a school before you apply to it. Blindly applying to random schools is not the way to go.

munbue,

Speaking of state schools, if you are a Colorado resident then you should have an advantage there.

And besides BU, I think Nova and Temple will also be schools you may hear from soon. imho

Just remember it only takes ONE school to make your dreams come true!

I am a resident of Colorado. Thanks everyone.

U of Colorado is very tough to get in even for an instate applicant. Nova won't get to you until Jan. keep your finger cross.

Thats true...it would be nice to stay in Colorado, but I'm not counting on it.

Just for future notice, what are good state schools to apply to as far as out of state acceptance is concerned?

There aren't many good ones, but IUSD is among the best of the bad. We usually admit about 30 nonresident students per year, but we get ~900 applications for those spots.

UMich in particular has a "national" focus... They don't have as heavy a preference for in-state residents as most other state schools do. UConn too to a bit lesser degree. My school (Buffalo) is a state school and it accepts about 15-20 out-of-staters a year, but that's still pretty stiff competition.

If I was in your shoes, I would add a few more private schools to your application-- Particularly a safety school (NYU should do nicely for that because they have so many seats per class).

HTH!

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC does not start interviewing until Nov. so you should be ok there, tough school to get into out of state though. I also have only had one interview, but I applied to three schools that do not interview. Best of luck.

What schools did you apply to that dont require or have interviews??

Dude, mind sharing your stats? So that way we might help little more. And don't worry, this forum is anonymous.

Originally posted by Dentaldream
Always research a school before you apply to it. Blindly applying to random schools is not the way to go.

That's always been my quote of the day. I wish people would believe me on that. At least I'm glad to see some other fellow SDN peeps are now abiding by it.

munbue,

Creighton, Marquette, and Southern Illinois (I'm not visting creighton, but will be going to marquette, eventually).

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Medicine
Minor in Anatomy & Physiology
GPA 3.61
DAT PAT 17
AA 20
Working on a master's degree in Biomedical sciences

Munbue, those are pretty awesome stats.

It would be weird if you are only getting one interview so far.

Here's my advice to you, I would email or call every single school that did not sent you anything tommorrow and ask them to check the status. i think it's very likely that some stuff is missing, whether it be evaluation letters or application fee. Although some schools offers interviews without completed application package.

For those of you in the same situation, I would advice the samething, try to be little active and always call or email school if you haven't heard from them in a long period of time.

Good luck:)

p.s. i would forget about adding backup schools, like nyu.......coz I think you have a great chance of getting into at least a couple of those schools.

Originally posted by bingpredent
p.s. i would forget about adding backup schools, like nyu.......coz I think you have a great chance of getting into at least a couple of those schools.

BU, Nova and Temple, yep.. Munbue's stats are indeed competitive for those three schools.

Still, I'd say go ahead and add NYU. What's one more school, especially one that is as close to a "sure thing" as that? It's like having a Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card in Monopoly... You probably won't need it, but it's a good thing to have just in case. :D

Oh, now NYU is analagous to jail huh?

:laugh:

(I know thats not what you meant....right?):rolleyes:

It's the other way around, man!

Think about it-- If you got an acceptance letter from a dental school, you got a ticket out of a dead-end job like IT/MIS. :D

It IS a get-out-of-jail-free card!!

And boy did I use mine.. :laugh:

What private schools are good to apply to? It seems that I don't know of that many private dental schools.

Originally posted by zayna02
What private schools are good to apply to? It seems that I don't know of that many private dental schools.

NYU
Boston
Tufts
Temple
Case
Arizona
USC
Nova
UNLV

Add to Dentaldream's good list the following:

UoP
Marquette
Pitts

These private schools are also good schools to apply to.

And take away:

UNLV (this is actually a state school.. Though they do accept out-of-staters so I hear) :D

Originally posted by UBTom
It's the other way around, man!

Think about it-- If you got an acceptance letter from a dental school, you got a ticket out of a dead-end job like IT/MIS. :D

It IS a get-out-of-jail-free card!!

And boy did I use mine.. :laugh:

Hmmmmm, you may have a point... ;)