Only Step 1 in addition to Level 1? Or Step 2 as well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just curious to know if taking both/one of the Step 2 exams in addition to taking Step 1 would open the most doors for residency as a DO. Do most people just take Step 1 and then all COMLEX exams? Or do people take both Step 2's as well? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Most take both because although Step 2 might not be needed / required for residency- often times ACGME fellowships want to see that you've taken both USMLE Step 1 and 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Most take both because although Step 2 might not be needed / required for residency- often times ACGME fellowships want to see that you've taken both USMLE Step 1 and 2.

Ugh. That's really annoying to have to take both

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only take Step 2 if you are ready for it and know you will score higher than Step 1.

This is the only reason why I'm forcing myself to take CK. Last thing I want is not being able to do a fellowship because I didn't take the damn test.

With that said, if I see that my score would drop by 10+ points, I'd probably cancel it. Explaining not having a score is much better than explaining a horrible score.

Reactions: 1 users