only Studying over winter Break For the January MCAT-what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petemaravich3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to study for the january mcat over winter break for around 10-12 hrs. a day (break time already subtracted out). I'm aiming for a 37+ score. I was just wondering whether anyone else had used a similar study plan and if they were successful. any anecdotes or advice about this method would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to study for the january mcat over winter break for around 10-12 hrs. a day (break time already subtracted out). I'm aiming for a 37+ score. I was just wondering whether anyone else had used a similar study plan and if they were successful. any anecdotes or advice about this method would be appreciated.

It's possible but I'm not sure about that score unless you're already starting off strong, ya know. I've been doing some content review (more heavily since the start of November) but I'm def. amping it up in December, so I guess just keep working at it and practice makes perfect.

Its one thing to turn up the intensity during the break, but it will be a very tight squeeze if you hope to do content review and test practice over the span of a month essentially, or less if you don't continue at the same pace after break.

You don't always need the full three months, the three or four month cycle is ideal, but I did two months and did great - although that was for a retake so it wasn't completely new. One month will be very stressful and very compacted.

Its one thing to turn up the intensity during the break, but it will be a very tight squeeze if you hope to do content review and test practice over the span of a month essentially, or less if you don't continue at the same pace after break.

You don't always need the full three months, the three or four month cycle is ideal, but I did two months and did great - although that was for a retake so it wasn't completely new. One month will be very stressful and very compacted.

That's true. I'm essentially at the back end of content review and starting up with FL's in a week or two, so for me that would be ok to amp up time, but doing all review and all FL's in one-one and a half months is a bit tough now that I think about it :-\

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i know it will be tight..really tight and will make for a hellish winterbreak, but i think i'm going to at least try. i'll have a little over a month from the start of winterbreak until the exam. i'm thinking of doing a quick run through of content with examkrackers. i'll probably set aside 1.5-2 weeks for the initial run through of content. i'll also be working the hell out of practice problems and passages during the initial content review phase. at the end of the initial content review, i'm going to start taking a practice exam every other day (possibly every day, it depends) with the goal of taking ~15 practice exams by the january day. anyway, back to the main question...i know there has to be a crazy sdner who followed/attempted a similar schedule and achieved my target score. if so, please provide advice on my study schedule or potential problems you ran into with such a hellish schedule.

yeah, i know it will be tight..really tight and will make for a hellish winterbreak, but i think i'm going to at least try. i'll have a little over a month from the start of winterbreak until the exam. i'm thinking of doing a quick run through of content with examkrackers. i'll probably set aside 1.5-2 weeks for the initial run through of content. i'll also be working the hell out of practice problems and passages during the initial content review phase. at the end of the initial content review, i'm going to start taking a practice exam every other day (possibly every day, it depends) with the goal of taking ~15 practice exams by the january day. anyway, back to the main question...i know there has to be a crazy sdner who followed/attempted a similar schedule and achieved my target score. if so, please provide advice on my study schedule or potential problems you ran into with such a hellish schedule.

Is there any reason you can't do atleast light studying now to help you out a little?

I think you are fully capable of studying for the MCAT over winter break. It's not a test of knowledge, it's a test of comprehension. If you get into the right mindset over break, and avoid all other distractions, you can do it. Also, I think the people before me responded with the assumption that you have an average GPA. If you have done extremely well in your prereqs, chances are that you know the material inside and out, and it won't be as stressful as others might think.

Either way, as Vihsadas says, if you want to do something, and others say the odds are against you, you should aim to be the outlier and prove them wrong. Then, come back on these forums, and post your story, and I bet you'll be treated like a God by some posters :D

I think you are fully capable of studying for the MCAT over winter break. It's not a test of knowledge, it's a test of comprehension. If you get into the right mindset over break, and avoid all other distractions, you can do it. Also, I think the people before me responded with the assumption that you have an average GPA. If you have done extremely well in your prereqs, chances are that you know the material inside and out, and it won't be as stressful as others might think.

Either way, as Vihsadas says, if you want to do something, and others say the odds are against you, you should aim to be the outlier and prove them wrong. Then, come back on these forums, and post your story, and I bet you'll be treated like a God by some posters :D

I mentioned that about already being strong in the subjects...

um dude this definitely sounds like a recipe for disaster. you will probably burn out. if you really want a 37+ you should probably just take it in march. then again, i don't know you. maybe you have a 4.0 at caltech or something. best of luck whatever you decide.

Here is what I did, go to the 30+ thread and search around Feb-March of each year. People get their Jan scores late Feb and will post their thoughts and successes/strategies there.

That's true. I'm essentially at the back end of content review and starting up with FL's in a week or two, so for me that would be ok to amp up time, but doing all review and all FL's in one-one and a half months is a bit tough now that I think about it :-\

I think everyone would agree with this.

If you are amping up to do FLs and practice problems, then great. Starting with content wouldn't be advised unless you are a science major and you absolutely owned all your pre-reqs and are still taking classes that constantly use the fundamentals necessary for success.

E.g. A chemical engineering student will likely have strong chem and physics skills, his prep will be easier b/c 1/2 to 3/4 of his content review will be something he uses regularly.

Search the 30+ threads and you should get a feel.

lol. I have a hellish schedule planned, and I understand hellish unlike many. I worked in sales and I have worked 14 hr days before many times, and I've worked 7 days a week, week after week. #1 it is hard. #2 if you are starting content during this time you will not get a lot of practice in. I have more practice problems than you could complete in a winter break at 12 hrs a day. And adding in 15 FLs, even at 1 or 2 a day would be tight.

If you are a science major who absolutely owned all the pre-req material and know it like the back of your hand, then ok. If you are not fluent in everything and plan at starting from point A (like 70% or more of applicants) then you are planning for failure.

Think of 4 weeks at 12 hrs a day, lets say 70 hrs a week. That is 280 hrs. It is doable but if you are doing content review in this time frame then you will run into trouble and end up retaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible, if you are willing to push your body to incredible limits, even to the point of death if necessary.

There is advice like this that is inspiring, then there are people who use it to act stupidly and rush through things they shouldn't.

Like a guy who wants to get rich quick and people tell him all the fundamentals (Warren Buffet style) and he uses this quote, "I can be an outlier!" so that he can get involved in all sort of illegal get rich quick schemes.

Or someone saying that diet and exercise are good for losing weight and you hear of some guy who drank this weird juice for 4 days while not eating that has random ass chemicals in it. Then you say, "I want to be an outlier and prove everyone wrong!"

lol.

That quote is good when you are being diligent and working hard, not for taking short cuts to success.

It is possible, if you are willing to push your body to incredible limits, even to the point of death if necessary.

I think it would be better if people who give this advice would post their MCAT score alongside their advice.

This type of language is silly, "pushing your body to death". I understand hard work and it isn't about taking short cuts to success. Pushing your body to the limit is a good ability but it shouldn't be used except in last resort situations. To plan an MCAT study schedule that involves over 12 hrs a day I think is silly.

I have not yet taken the MCAT but I've read as many 30+ threads as anyone on this site, and I've PM'ed top MCAT scorers, I don't think any of them would advocate this (unless as I've said, you are a science major and owned all the pre-reqs and content review is a joke for you).

Yes, it's more than possible. People overrate practice. The key to the MCAT is concepts. Are you a really bright person? If so, then EK will give you all you need and combine that with all 8 AAMCs you'll be good. The problem is many people know the concepts superficially. So, if the testmakers present unfamiliar situations are you still able to wade through the fluff and answer. I took it in September and got a 34+. It is really an overrated test. I'm not that bright. I went through TBR O-chem but that's it. I read through TPR gen chem because it was short and TPR physics and EK bio and some TBR bio passages. I only took two AAMCs, 5 and 10. I got a 29 on 5 3 weeks before my test. I took 10 the day before and actually did the 2 essays to get used to the grind and got a 37. I got a 13 ps, 14 Bs, and a 7 verbal. Yes a 7, if you suck at verbal then all bets are off. I'll likely have to retake.

In closing, when you're studying, think conceptually about everything.

To illustrate, you'll learn or should know that Concave mirrors give real and inverted images which is the same thing as convex lenses. Also, convex mirrors give virtual upright images as do concave lenses. Something I wondered (while studying) was if concave mirrors or convex lenses could give virtual images. The answer is yes if it's close enough. Specifically, when the object is closer than the focal point, the image with be upright and inverted. The location of the image is closer to the focal than the object and it's also magnified. Here's the equation, 1/f=1/o +1/i. This bothered me while studying. On my test day, Sept 10, there were 4 questions on this topic and I smoked it because of my manner of study. Ironically, EK mentioned this fact while TPR didn't.

We assume that the focal point of a convex lens or concave mirror is positive. Object distance is always positive. So, image distance is what determines whether the object is real or virtual. The average mcat taker memorizes that convex lens= real. Not always the case, only if the object distance is greater than the focal point. Why? 1/f-1/o=1/i

So, if object distance is less than focal distance then i is negative. A negative i indicates a virtual image? In closing, where would an object at a great distance be seen? At the focal point!! Why? 1/(infinity) would be zero so 1/f=1/i. If you're good at stuff like this you'll have no problem.

Finally, my first passage was on magnetism. It wasn't hard, but the images were intimidating. It tested right hand rule. So know that. Finally, there was a complicated question about determining the velocity of a 2+ carbon 12. You just had to use energy. So really have concepts down. If you didn't know the definition of V/d=E you were screwed. know units and different ways to solve stuff.

Last edited:

10-12 hours isn't necessary. EK is a quick read and you should be able to memorize it in 2 weeks at 8 hours a day. Then take AAMCS 7-10 and go over them while working on your weak points. Fenguin, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6347642&postcount=210. Also, Washme (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7580659&postcount=401) studied for 3 weeks 6-8 hrs a day via EK and took 4 aamcs over the last 4 weeks. He took in jan 08 like Fenguin.

Both these two are smart as hell. So, if you're in that group do it. If not, take in on March 27th and space out your studying. After taking mine in September I laughed so hard at myself. I was worried about memorizing everything. Just know the basics cold and be ready to extrapolate and you'll do fine. I've been reviewing because I will have to retake. I didn't practice verbal and it bit me in the but. Although I got 10s on my two practice tests so I figured I was good.

Getting a 37 isn't hard if you're good at verbal. Getting 12-13 on the sciences shouldn't be difficult for most people.
In closing, if you look at the old 30+ site from 2002, you'll see very few people took more than 8 tests total and the crazy kids took like 13. Today it seems that number when from around 10 to 20. I think his name is mattabet and he got a 40, he is a medical student. He said 5 or 6 tests are generally what you need as long as you review thoroughly and do a few practice problems along with content. So, learn your content and get it over with.

There are no secrets; all I know is there are lots of possible topics and you should try your best to know them well enough to take a full length and get a decent score. That number is up to you, based on your level of comfort and test taking skills.

If you can honestly study for 12 hours a day (I have no idea how people could do that, because I find myself studying for about 3-5 and am pretty sure anymore would be a waste) than you should do it. The biggest sense of conviction you will have about the exam is that small, minor things become advantages over time.

Bennie mentioned the advice given earlier, and I agree. The best stuff from the 'greats' were hardly massive. It was single, minor tinkering choices and knowledge that slowly built the gap that grew with time. So even though the MCAT is a 1 - 4 month study period prior to the test, treat it like the career of a great iconic figure or investor. They usually took decades to build those things up, but each year was a little investment here and there, with careful study.

Treat the MCAT like that, and even the 4 month or 2 month time frame can help. Each day you will gain some insight, some milestone or edge. They'll add up over time but don't expect the hammer - I decided to take it a third time and am trying new things even now. I've been motivated to continue the process and even if I have to re apply, I find that I will be much happier if I can score better on the exam.

You are the only one who is going to have to take the exam, so as a word of advice, try to only speak or deal with people who are knowledgeable. ie, NOT your parents, or your dopey 50+ year old family doc, as much as you love em - the process and the MCAT are much different today. Best of luck!

interesting advice. anyway, washme did you have a particular study plan during the 3 weeks you were studying content? for example, did you just study a single subject each day (i.e. biology one day, chemistry the next) or did you mix up subjects (i.e. biology for 2 hrs, then chemistry 2 hrs, then physics 2 hrs, on one day)? anymore anecdotes? keep'em coming..........

Last edited:
thx for all the advice. i'm still gonna try to take the mcat with just studying over winter break. anyway, washme did you have a particular study plan during the 3 weeks you were studying content? for example, did you just study a single subject each day (i.e. biology one day, chemistry the next) or did you mix up subjects (i.e. biology for 2 hrs, then chemistry 2 hrs, then physics 2 hrs, on one day)? anymore anecdotes? keep'em coming..........

what I in a week was something like this (numbers refer to EK chapters):
day 1: physics 1 / chem 1
day 2: biology 1 / ochem 1
day 3: physics 2 / verbal 1
day 4: chem 2 / biology 2
day 5: physics 3 / ochem 2
day 6: chem 3 / verbal 2
day 7: biology 3 / ochem 3

As you can see above, I hit physics 3x, chem 3x, biology 3x, ochem 3x, and verbal 2x in the first week. I would follow a similar, balanced schedule each week, just memorizing chapters in order and always taking the 30-min practice tests (in the back of EK) after finishing each chapter. By the middle of week 2, you'll be done with ochem and verbal so you just have to shuffle up physics/chem/bio, doing 2 chapters per day. This schedule will allow you to finish the entire book set in 3 weeks. This method can even be used to get in done in 3 weeks taking off Saturday/Sunday if you just toss in a few extra chapters per week.

I didn't go by the number of hours I put in; some days were short and some days are long... just expect every day to be long and when you get a nice short one, enjoy it and don't try to do extra work (you'll burn out). I just made sure to fully memorize one section of 2 different books each day.

edit: by fully memorize, I mean within reason. Some concepts were lost on me, and you'll experience the same thing. You have to ask yourself what is worth your time. If it's in the books it's high yield. It's not high yield, however, for you to pound your head into the table trying to understand one thing when you could be moving on and learning much more.

Nobody knows 100% of everything in those books. If they imply they do, they're liars. Aim for 90+% retention for difficult material and try to learn everything else; often times, the points you miss on the MCAT will not be for lack of knowledge, but rather for lack of focus (misreading) or lack of basic logic.

Last edited: