Only took one full practice exam but scores were good should I postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cometx3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically every time I attempted to take a practice exam, I kept giving into the temptation to stop after a section and study how to do questions that I knew I knew how to do but blanked so low and then all of a sudden I found my dat looming and no time to take many practice exams. My Dat is in two days. I took the 2009 practice exam today timed (finally) and got a 20 overall with a breakdown of

Bio: 22
GenChem: 20
OrgChem: 17
Pat: 22
RC: 20
QR: 17

I took some a few untimed bootcamp sections which I bs'd my way through at 5am and got:

bio: 20
Genchem: either 19 or 20
pat: 18 (2009 was a JOKE compared to this one)

Do you think I should take the DAT? I'm pretty happy with a 19/20 but i'm not sure with just one practice exam i'll get that

Members don't see this ad.

Two things:
1) Did you account for the errors in the 2009? There are plenty
2) How have you scored on the other BC tests you've taken? Personally, I didn't take one FL (not even the 2007/2009 ones); I mostly focused on the individual tests and tried to get through as many as I could.
As per the 2009, you're doing well in Bio and GC, but OC should be a little of a priority tomorrow. Do Destroyer, and read BC solutions.
For the other sections, though, I think it would be helpful if you posted all of your scores, so that we could see things as a whole and give you better feedback.
Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
Two things:
1) Did you account for the errors in the 2009? There are plenty
2) How have you scored on the other BC tests you've taken? Personally, I didn't take one FL (not even the 2007/2009 ones); I mostly focused on the individual tests and tried to get through as many as I could.
As per the 2009, you're doing well in Bio and GC, but OC should be a little of a priority tomorrow. Do Destroyer, and read BC solutions.
For the other sections, though, I think it would be helpful if you posted all of your scores, so that we could see things as a whole and give you better feedback.
Hope this helps :)
Haha those were the only bc tests I took. I don't have the subscription so i'm stuck with the free ones. I'm going to probably brush up on orgo tomorrow then attempt the bc oc and qr sections. im not even going to bother with the rc because i have always been very strong in standardized test rc sections. I think the reason I did so poorly in orgo was because I just assumed it would be my best subject and really didn't review it much at all aside from watching chad's videos. Hopefully one day of reviewing is enough, I found that I knew a lot of the concepts I got wrong for that section but it was on the tip of my tongue. I also barely studied for qr I tried to do one math destroyer section and gave up halfway through and just read over the formulas. Oh and I did account for errors!

I would postpone to strengthen your OC review. The rest of your scores are pretty solid but I really don't think one day of orgo review and hoping for the best is a solid enough strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't gamble with your DAT!
Take the dat when you are ready, For now focus on Orgo+QR more, since the other scores look Ok.

Did you end up taking your DAT?
Yeah i did fine. I got a 19 overall and ended up getting a 20 in the orgo section for some strange reason, but I did terrible (and I mean terrible) in QR because the QR section is so different than any of the old practice exams I took and I wasn't prepared. Hopefully its good enough but that 2009 practice exam did not at all reflect my weaknesses.

Last edited:
Yeah i did fine. I got a 19 overall and ended up getting a 20 in the orgo section for some strange reason, but I did terrible (and I mean terrible) in QR because the QR section is so different than any of the old practice exams I took and I wasn't prepared. Hopefully its good enough but that 2009 practice exam did not at all reflect my weaknesses.

What were your 2009 scores? Can you give a complete breakdown of your scores and what you used to prepare?

Dr. Romano