Only writing integrative reports without assessment hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NP112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

My practicum this year has really been in flux due to multiple circumstances. When I accepted the offer, it sounded as if I would be brought on as a psych associate in the spring semester and be able to do testing/interviewing/feedback along with report writing. This semester has just been report along with a caseload of medicare patients. I was told that they are thinking of keeping the way it is into the Spring given I won't be through the state board until March, giving a few months until the practicum ends. My question is this: Does it look weird on internship applications if I have multiple integrative reports, but not necessarily the assessment hours to go along with them? I have completed another assessment practicum, so have hours from that. I no longer think I will be targeting neuropsych internships, and may instead try for just a rotation. Luckily the site is allowing me to have a say in how the next semester plays out, and I am debating what I really want, given that I am now more intervention focused.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Neuropsychs can speak to your specific site interests and my perspective here us more about general application impacts. So, that said- Normally, yes. This year? who knows. Everything is in flux and its hard to say. Having hours from the other site is important because it suggests you arent starting at ground zero.

The best approach I can think of here would be to mention COVIDs impact in your cover letter and align it with a rotation. For instance, something like: 'Although I was have experience writing integrative reports, due to COVID-19 I have had limited assessment administrations. Thus, the opportunities of XXX [assessment focused] rotation at your site offer an exciting training opportunity because of not only [explain why you like the rotation in general, but also because it offers to expand my training and guide me in the development of critical skills'. Its a bit late for those applying this year but I would certainly apply that moving forward.

It's a bit of a crapshoot, but yes, integrative reports with very little actual testing time will look bad. I would say many neuro specific training sites have been up and going with telehealth for some time now, so many students applying will have that experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you.

For most context, I currently have over 200 assessment hours from previous placement and some psyco-diagnostic measures two years ago. I currently have 13 assessment reports and will likely have 20+ if the current pace continues. My worry is when applying to internship, committees will see "they wrote a bunch of reports this year but had no accompanying assessment hours."

Thank you.

For most context, I currently have over 200 assessment hours from previous placement and some psyco-diagnostic measures two years ago. I currently have 13 assessment reports and will likely have 20+ if the current pace continues. My worry is when applying to internship, committees will see "they wrote a bunch of reports this year but had no accompanying assessment hours."
We won't see which hours come from which year/which specific sites. I guess with a lot of scrutiny you could figure it out...maybe. We can see how many intervention vs assessment hours per each type of setting (e.g., community mental health, forensic, inpatient psych) but that's it unless I missed something.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.

Current internship applicant here so take my $0.02 in that context. I don’t think you can see *when* you wrote each report on the AAPI. You enter your total # of integrated reports, total hours, and # of each measure given (all verified by your DCT, of course). It shows the aggregate, not hours/reports by placement if that makes sense. Not sure in neuro internships request that info - just be prepared to discuss your assessment experiences. It looks like the sites will see a really in depth breakdown if you use time 2 track, but the actual completed application doesn’t show as much detail. Hope that makes sense.

It will probably vary by site and how many neuro administration hours you have. For example, at higher tier neuro specific internship site, they will want to see a good amount of neuro assessment hours (well above the average general applicant) and see that you have a breadth of experience in administration. They really don't want to have to waste a bunch of time training you to give tests. A more generalist site and a single rotation, won't be as important.