Ontario Incomes/Employment Graduate Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After 2 years in practice, optometry grads rank #1 in salary in Ontario.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2004_Survey.pdf
    226.3 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
I guess we're moving to Toronto, eh? :laugh:

Have a look.

After 2 years in practice, optometry grads rank #1 in salary in Ontario.

(Disclosure: the "true" MD salary is somewhat under-reported, since they report MD resident salaries)

not that i'm complaining, but how is it possible that optometry has a higher average than medicine or law?

Members don't see this ad :)
Law students are required to article after law school before they get licence. Doctors obviously have residencies. Optometry in Canada pays well, in general.

I think you guys forget the ~45% reduction from the salary.

I think you guys forget the ~45% reduction from the salary.

from taxes? if that's the case, then having 1/2 your salary taken off is insane! is that really true?

I think Canada has a level supply or under supply of ODs, whereas the US has a massive oversupply.

Supply and demand again. Only two schools and those are harder to get into that almost any MD school.

I've been practicing in Canada for about 5 years. After all of the legal ways to avoid taxes are utilized, I pay about 29% of my income in taxes. Really not too bad considering all of the social programs we have in Canada. The average wage for new grads in western Canada is great...easily over 100K the first year out. My first year I made 125K...and that was with six weeks holidays. I have owned my own practice now for over two years, and am looking for an associate. I have advertised in both Canada and the US. Guess how many calls or emails I have received from legitimate ODs? Zero.

There are many more positions in Canada than grads entering the workforce (with optometry). It is truly a great time to be an OD in Canada...at least for those outside of major urban centres.

By the way...I would put my income up against any health care professional.

I've been practicing in Canada for about 5 years. After all of the legal ways to avoid taxes are utilized, I pay about 29% of my income in taxes. Really not too bad considering all of the social programs we have in Canada. The average wage for new grads in western Canada is great...easily over 100K the first year out. My first year I made 125K...and that was with six weeks holidays. I have owned my own practice now for over two years, and am looking for an associate. I have advertised in both Canada and the US. Guess how many calls or emails I have received from legitimate ODs? Zero.

There are many more positions in Canada than grads entering the workforce (with optometry). It is truly a great time to be an OD in Canada...at least for those outside of major urban centres.

By the way...I would put my income up against any health care professional.

i never knew canadians made 125K first year out... that is impressive! you say you paid 29% in income taxes (was that through some legal tricks)? i'm in indiana and paying about 27%, so the difference is not that much.... how much is everyone else paying in taxes?

i don't think the taxes are too much of a problem if you grew up in Canada paying >25% in taxes. ahh.... what i'd accept to get back.:)

I think Canada has a level supply or under supply of ODs, whereas the US has a massive oversupply.

Supply and demand again. Only two schools and those are harder to get into that almost any MD school.

I'm entering into OD school at Waterloo this September and I would say we have a slight under supply of practicing ODs. I'm from Saskatchewan and eye care is quite popular around these parts. Most of our doctors are booking 2-3 months in advance at all times.

I'm entering into OD school at Waterloo this September and I would say we have a slight under supply of practicing ODs. I'm from Saskatchewan and eye care is quite popular around these parts. Most of our doctors are booking 2-3 months in advance at all times.

:thumbup: congrats

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems as graduating OD income is so variable. I hear from one that he went to a retail chain and got $110K to start leaving the graduation ceremony! Another settled with a Pearl Vision because he could not find a good offer for 3 months. Then you have the AOA with its $137K average :confused: For any OD's currently in practice what is a realistic "starting income" for a private practice OD? (I actually have a 1st yr student I am mentoring who wants to know what the answer to this question is) lol

thanks

It seems as graduating OD income is so variable. I hear from one that he went to a retail chain and got $110K to start leaving the graduation ceremony! Another settled with a Pearl Vision because he could not find a good offer for 3 months. Then you have the AOA with its $137K average :confused: For any OD's currently in practice what is a realistic "starting income" for a private practice OD? (I actually have a 1st yr student I am mentoring who wants to know what the answer to this question is) lol

thanks

Oculomotor,

In any of the Western Canadian provinces, I would say you could expect to make between 115K and 130K the first year in private practice. Work for me and it will be more:)

Wow, what are u going to do now...write "gochi has pathetic commentary" under your name?
:laugh:

TBH qwopty, why do u create online wars with people, and more so, why do you actually think what you are saying is correct ?

If being an Eye Doctor is your answer, than please, stfu.

Canada is dry.

Central Canada is, but along the east or west coast or in the southern parts of Ontario and Quebec (great lakes regions), it's pretty humid.

Since this is an optometry forum, I better stay on topic so... I'll stay up here and save 140k in debt, thanks.

What's your favorite designer frame?

Last edited:
duplicate post.

Last edited:
Qwopty99,

Oh wait are you going to put my name in your under your name again? :laugh:

SCORE

gochi 1 Qwopty99 0

MODERATOR MODERATOR, Qwopty99 insulted somebody on here! Remember that is a flagrant violation....!!!!!!!!!

Student Eye Doctor:thumbup:

bla

Last edited:
I think most folks on these forums would say you're the idiot.

Oh BTW, you really are an idiot.

Do I have to justify my reasoning again ? But would that not mean you are an idiot ?

Last edited:
I didn't put your name.

I put the word Oculo.

You don't have a monopoly on this root word.

As an aside, I don't see why you're "defending" gochi. I don't put you two in the same category. You're an idiot, but you at least, have a brain.

And I only used the same level of "insult" as he used to me. So why don't you go report him?

Score

Qwopty99: 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000.
Oculo: 0.

Wow. Quite immature.

I think my point about you being an idiot is further justified by this post.

Oh yea new scoreboard:

SDN: 1,000
Qwopty99: Error

*Assuming integers greater than zero resemble helpfulness and kindness and integers below zero resemble idiocracy; non-integer characters resemble innate idiocracy.

Last edited:
bla

Last edited:
Sorry guys, but this is an embarassing thread. Please try to keep the posts constructive.

I guess gochi is suddenly the authority on maturity and development.

Shocking. Did you get laid?

BTW. The word you used, "idiocracy", I had to look it up.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiocracy

Idiocracy
Id`i*oc"ra*cy\, n.; pl. Idiocrasies. [Idio- + Gr. ? a mixture, fr. ? to mix: cf. F. idiocrasie.] Peculiarity of constitution; that temperament, or state of constitution, which is peculiar to a person; idiosyncrasy.

It appears the word you are trying to use against me (idiocracy) is the wrong one. So much for your cheap insults. You should try selecting the proper vocabulary first.

Like I said, no brain.

LOL! Now you are saying that getting laid makes you more mature ? If you are, than, I presume you havent yet.

Again, qwopty99, come up with better arguments. Not every word needs a definition from a stable source. I know very well that you know what I mean by the word idiocracy in the transparent context I used it in. If you dont....well, you effectivley are the most popular word used by me in this thread.

See, your posts again further foritify that you really are an idiot.

Something is wrong isn't it?

Last edited:
Something is wrong. gochi is suddenly writing in complete sentences. Well, sorta.

Are you getting your mom to post for you?

Anyways, you made an attempt to call me an idiot, but instead, you called me idiosyncratic. Whatever your spin, you're an idiot.

:laugh: (Im laughing not because what you said was funny, but because you replied)

To break it down this is what essentially happend:

qwopty: hi, this is what i googled
me: like we didnt know
qwopty: im feeling vulnerable so im going to reply with a high degree of irrelevant words
me: ur an idiot
qwopty: no you r
me: ur an idiot
qwopty: no you r

Cycle will continue, until qwopty admits he is an idiot. Theres no shame in that though, really. :cool:

bla

Last edited:
let's discuss something else.

Last edited:
It's nice to see some professionalism around here. You guys are doctors, or at least aspiring docs. ACT LIKE IT.

That's bull-pooh-pooh (like gochi's brain).

To break it down this is what essentially happened:

qwopty: After 2 years in practice, optometry grads rank #1 in salary in Ontario.
gochi: I think you guys forget that working in Canada sux.
gochi: Canada sux.
qwopty: gochi sux.
gochi: Wow, are u going to write "gochi sux" under your name?
gochi: Why are you so smart? If being an Eye Doctor is your answer, then please, stfu, cause I'm not worthy.
qwopty: Cause I'm an Eye Doctor and You're Not.
gochi: My feelings are hurt. You are an idiot.
qwopty: Don't feel bad, but most folks on these forums would say you're the idiot.
qwopty: (some comments about oculo-homie)
gochi: Do I have to justify my reasoning again ? But would that not mean you are an idiot ? (edited)
gochi: Wow. Quite immature.
qwopty: Wow, gochi got laid!
gochi: So what if my insults are composed of words that aren't actually insults. I'm still not the biggest idiot, you are.
qwopty: Hi gochi's mom! Welcome to the thread!
gochi: Cycle will continue, until qwopty admits he is an idiot.
qwopty: I'm an idiot, but I'm not as big an idiot as gochi is.

Best,
Qwopty.

Too long.

It's nice to see some professionalism around here. You guys are doctors, or at least aspiring docs. ACT LIKE IT.

Qwopty admitted hes an idiot, so I think this will stop.

Go-Chi!

Last edited:
I declared myself less of an idiot than gochi is.

I guess only an idiot like gochi would think that my statement was a positive one about him.

Go-Chi! (or is that go-gochi??)

You're so smart gochi. You're my hero.

:sleep: