Ooops, No research!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHOOP8002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, wassup everyone? I am new here and I have a burning question. I am a Biology major with a psychology minor and I have a 3.85 GPA. I just took the MCAT and I am waiting for the results. I am a licensed paramedic and I have been working as an EMT for three and a half years now. I have over 300 hours of clinical experience in a level one trauma center in San Antonio. I have done a lot of hands on training in two different clinics and I am a medic for the Emergency Care Team at my University. When I was a freshman, I also did some physical therapy volunteer work. I am also a second degree blackbelt and have taught self defense to children. Okay, finally to my question. Is it going to kill me if I don't have any research experience? I am clearly more interested in the clinical aspects of medicine and feel that I have excellent experience but some people told me to get research also. Also, if I am going to do research for a semenar class that I am required to take next fall, should I even mention that on my application. I am just afraid of leaving any blank spaces. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not an authority on this or anything, but i'd say you don't need research to look like a well-rounded applicant. it seems like your activities are really good and unique. that's not to say some research oriented schools might not reject you b/c you don't have research -- anything's possible. i think as long as you apply to schools that aren't really researchy, you'll be ok.

research is not required ANYWHERE, and most accepted students don't have any. of course, it's nice padding, but you don't need to worry about it. with your gpa and what i would expect from you MCAT, you will do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
by the way, i would suggest that you think about what you really want out of this. I know that we all get so caught up in doing what we think will look good that we block out what we really enjoy, but at least think about it. Do you want to be a medical researcher or an academic physician at a research-oriented medical center? or a surgeon/doc at a community hospital or clinic? for the big shot researcher-docs, reasearch experience will help you get into a research oriented med school, and publications will get you in to those top residencies. But honestly, most of us don't want that anyway, we want to be physicians that treat patients. It's up to you to decide what is important to you. Just try not to think too much about what looks good on a resume, as there is no need to build a resume that will get you a job that you don't want.

You'll be fine. I know tons of people in med school who didn't do research. However, those people usually made up for it with a plethora of clinical experience. You have that in spades! Keep up the great work and good luck in med school!

Ya'll are right! I have a passion for clinical work and I should not waste my time doing something that I won't be able to talk about during my interviews anyway. I have plenty of clinical stories to light up my interviews. Thanks.