Oops!! I forgot a transcript!!

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
'Eaterville
    I recently remembered I took a .5 unit course at a community college (I got an A), but I forgot to put it on the AMCAS application. It was during my sophomore year of high school. Now a school that I've been accepted to is asking for a transcript inventory. What should I do??? What I really want to know is... Am I going to get into trouble because of it? It's not like it was an F or anything that I was trying to hide!! Please help!

J33

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 27, 2003
      I would definitely send all transcripts to the school if you plan on going there. I would also enclose a letter stating that you forgot to send the transcript from this school to AMCAS. Since you got an A it definitely won't be an issue, but it'll save you from the hassles of forgetting to send it if they find out later. You may as well cover yourself.

About the Ads

DRANTWAN

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 16, 2003
      CHI-TOWN
        i dont think amcas or the med school will find out if you dont send the transcript. i know a couple of people that flunked at one university transferred to another but did not tell amcas. im not saying to lie and its wrong to lie. Id say just to email and ask them or write a letter and send the transcript, but u might get in trouble.

lyragrl

Mold-a-rama fan
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 10, 2003
          Because you forgot to report an A on a community college class from your sophomore year of H.S.? I doubt it.

The whole "report everything" is there to keep people from taking the classes at one school, bombing it, and then taking them again at another school, getting a good grade, and only reporting the second time. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're really worried, call the schools you've been accepted to and offer to send them the transcript.

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Nov 6, 2003
          'Eaterville
            Originally posted by jlee9531
            you are going to be fine AID....

you didnt get an F so dont worry.

dont stress bro. we need good people like u in med.

Gee, jlee... you're awesome! Some of these other peeps were starting to freak me out. I can always count on you to keep it real. I'm still crossing my fingers for you on Davis, by the way... Actually, they've started to cramp, so let me know as soon as you get in, ok? :laugh: Take it easy, buddy!!

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Nov 24, 2002
              Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
              I recently remembered I took a .5 unit course at a community college (I got an A), but I forgot to put it on the AMCAS application. It was during my sophomore year of high school. Now a school that I've been accepted to is asking for a transcript inventory. What should I do??? What I really want to know is... Am I going to get into trouble because of it? It's not like it was an F or anything that I was trying to hide!! Please help!

Dont worry about it. I would still send it in to schools youre interested/pending at along with a note explaining whats going on and your continued interest in each school.

It might work out in your favor, since it shows that youre trying to be complete in your application, and it gives you something else to talk about with each school other than "Im still interested"

No worries though, and definitely take this opportunity to write to some med schools.

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Aug 8, 2003
              Counting down
                Sheesh, people freak out over nothing.

It's going to be okay, AID. No one is going to think that you were deliberately hiding anything, and you are not going to get in any trouble. Come on, you guys, give the adcoms credit for a little common sense.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Dec 14, 2003
                  Originally posted by HollyJ
                  Sheesh, people freak out over nothing.

I know, not only about med school, but also about Weapon of Mass Destruction in a certain middle-Eastern country ;)

Last time I heard, the moon is gonna crash onto the Earth within the next ten years...geez, we should enjoy life instead of applying to med schools and refreshing the SDN forum page every 10 seconds.

Anyways, AlreadyInDebt, the class you mentioned was very insignificent compared to the rest of your record (It's only 0.5 units and was taken in high school) I don't think a school will take back your acceptance if you explain sincerely

About the Ads

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Dec 14, 2003
                    Originally posted by NE_Cornhusker1
                    how do you forget that you went to school somewhere? it's not like forgetting where you put your car keys. this doesn't speak too highly to your attention to detail or your honesty.

So what were you doing on March 17, 1985. QUick, I need an answer within 30 seconds

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
                    7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Nov 6, 2003
                    'Eaterville
                      this doesn't speak too highly to your attention to detail or your honesty.

So, let me recap for you...

-> .5 unit course
                      -> Received an A
                      -> 7 yeas ago

Hmm, doesn't sound like I have anything to hide... detail problem, maybe, but highly uncharacteristic of me. Honesty, no bearing whatsoever. I think you just didn't read the OP carefully. Talk about attention to detail, my friend :rolleyes:

HollyJ: adcoms have common sense?? :laugh:

Gleevec: I love how you were able to turn this into something I can use to my advantage. Great idea!

NE_Cornhusker1: Monday morning quarterbacks... priceless

Gleevec

7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Nov 24, 2002
                        sorry i guess i should have stroked your ego like everyone else. :rolleyes:

Not really stroking his ego, but its not that big a deal.

People panic over everything during the process, heck, I am one of these people, so Im fairly sympathetic to this sort of thing.

I think forgetting a trivial class like that isnt a big deal at all, and Im not sure why youre making it into one NE_Cornhusker...

WatchingWaiting

7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Mar 7, 2003
                          Some of the posts here are truly bizarre. I started med school this year, but had a college class I took as a junior in high school that I completely forgot about until several weeks after I first filled out my AMCAS Application. I very easily could have forgotten to mention it-- just fluke luck that it came up in a weird dream one night. Even if you didn't mention at all, and it was somehow discovered later (virtually impossible, btw), you could very easily and credibly say you forgot about it when you filled out your application and didn't feel it was worth the effort to write a letter to every med school after you'd already applied in light of the non-relevance of the class and the fact you got on "A" in it. It would reflect in no way, shape, or form on you personally. If you really want to write about it, the time would probably be after you got an acceptance, just so the particular school at which you matriculate knows about this class. This is easily and appropriately forgotten as irrelevant though.

Don't let the logical-reasoning-challenged morality police on this thread distract you.

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
                          7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Nov 6, 2003
                          'Eaterville
                            I definitely don't think the responses would have been the same. Wouldn't it be suspicious that someone conveniently forgot to report an F in a class? Granted, in this case it would have only pulled my GPA down by .001, I myself would think that the person was lying. I think in a case like that honesty would be in question.

The problem everone had with your comment is best stated by hollyj...

some of us may believe that it's possible to make a really minor mistake without it being indicative of a major character flaw. Or two.

I admit now that I probably freaked out for nothing, but you never know unless you ask. What makes it worse is someone attacking the strength of your character based on one mistake that you voluntarily brought to light. That is what you did to me and that is what gleevec and hollyj were trying to stop. I appreciate their understanding, help, and advice in this matter.

So, the problem was not the grade, or the forgetting, but your unwarranted response.

edit: Thanks to watchingwaiting as well :)

WatchingWaiting

7+ Year Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Mar 7, 2003
                              so would have everything been ok and the responses the same if the op had ripped off an f in the class?

Of course not! Haven't you heard of motive in criminal proceedings? Why would this person know about an "A" in a class and then intentionally exclude it from his or her transcript? As the grade in the class gets lower, the probability that a.i.d. innocently forgot about this course when filling in his amcas becomes lower and lower. If the course grade were an "F," the chance a.i.d. really didn't remember it when filling in his application becomes vanishingly small! How would you forget that you flunked a class? Even if it was seven years ago? But a random class seven years ago while in high school, and in which you got an "A"? It probably happens to a couple hundred people each application cycle.

NE_Cornhusker1

12" Member
                              7+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Aug 7, 2001
                              The Cornhusker State
                                the issue here is disclosure. what if you 'forgot' that you were busted for cheating while in college? or what about those graduate courses in the phd program you were enrolled and pulling a's in until you had a change of heart and decided to pursue medicine that you dropped out of? these are hypotheticals of course but point is that doing something cool like enrolling in a college class as a sophomore in high school would stick out in my [and others] mind like these examples above would too.

i'd highly doubt that a school would yank an acceptance b/c you unwittingly got an a in some cc choral class seven years ago but you never know.

as far as the amcas or schools finding out: most college apps have a spot where you list any previous college credit and that class would/should show up here. from there it might show up on a transcript. amcas might follow up with schools about these sorts of issues in the half of the year they are not processing apps. eventually you'll have to come clean with schools on this issue. i just hope it doesn't cost you the time, money, and labor that you put into all this.

p.s. i wish you the best. i hope this all works out well for you.

p.s.s my harsh comments were coming from the perspective of someone on an adcom who might ask [in a cynical, skeptical tone]: well is there anything else aid 'forgot' on his application? maybe he 'forgot' he got a dui cause he was $hitcanned? maybe he 'forgot' about those 37 f credits at the local junior college cuase he's [or she's] blocked out those memories? in this light this raises many more questions than it answers [that you're are a good singer].

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
                                7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Aug 8, 2003
                                Counting down
                                  :rolleyes:

The issue here is not disclosure. The fact that it was a simple omission that could not possibly have been intentional will obvious to anyone who might be involved in med school admissions.

Clearly AID didn't "forget" (sarcastic quotes courtesy of NE) to send his transcript -- he actually forgot. And (s)he left out a piece of information that could only have helped his/her application.

People are insane.

(Not you, AID)

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Nov 6, 2003
                                    don't make a mountain out of a molehill. Give the Adcoms credit for alittle more maturity. They're not gonna rescind an acceptance for obviously honest oversights. They're probably not even gonna notice.

If the admissions process was as painstaking detailed, anal and 'we are looking for a reason to reject you' slanted - as some posters seem to believe, then it would take them years of heartache to get thru a typical applicant pool. plus thats not even what they're all about

sometimes we at SDN tend to overthink the process. its really not that complex!

NE_Cornhusker1

12" Member
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Aug 7, 2001
                                    The Cornhusker State
                                      i guess i just don't understand how you could forget that you went to school somewhere. perhaps i'm just blessed with an incredible memory. i can see where there might be some confusion as to whether or not it was a college level course [and thereby college credit was earned] but that can [and should be] be easily enough cleared up with that school.

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
                                      7+ Year Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Aug 8, 2003
                                      Counting down
                                        i guess i just don't understand how you could forget that you went to school somewhere. perhaps i'm just blessed with an incredible memory. i can see where there might be some confusion as to whether or not it was a college level course [and thereby college credit was earned] but that can [and should be] be easily enough cleared up with that school.

So do you think that AID deliberately omitted his A for some unfathomable nefarious purpose?

I can absolutely see how someone could overlook a community college class they took in high school. As a matter of fact, I very nearly forgot that I had taken a CPR class at a community college when I was 14.

Come on. It's not like he lived in the dorms. He took a throwaway class for fun. You honestly can't see how someone could overlook that when doing their AMCAS ap?

Gleevec

7+ Year Member
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        Nov 24, 2002

NE_Cornhusker1, you are seriously taking this way to an extreme, and no, youre not being helpful at all. Im not entirely sure what about this post has turned you into some kind of application nazi.

Let me recap this issue. AID took a SINGING class that was half a credit and got an A in it in high school. Now, singing class isnt exactly organic chemistry or quantum mechanics (though, with my terrible singing voice, it probably is much harder). Half credit courses are generally for fun anyway (ie PE classes). Also it was 7 years ago.

So not only does he not have a motive for hiding the class (since he got an A), but it was a freaking singing class taken 7 years ago for half credit as part of an EC. It would be quite easy to forget the class part of the EC and just attribute that memory to the EC itself.

NE_Cornhusker, I think you are creating Potemkin villages here, because you keep saying "if it had been this" or "if instead it had been that" it would be bad. And yes, if AID had gotten an F in general chemistry and wanted to hide it, that would be bad and everyone would be jumping all of it. But this is not such a situation, its forgetting a trivial class that has no bearing whatsoever on his application. And in terms of honesty, at least AID is trying to address something he knows is trivial (otherwise this thread wouldnt exist), and Im assuming he will inform adcoms about it.

So I ask you again NE, whats the problem?

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
                                          7+ Year Member
                                          15+ Year Member
                                          Nov 6, 2003
                                          'Eaterville
                                            So, I went to the Community College and got a print-out of the grade, wrote the school a letter, and sent it back with my declaration of intent... I'm not too worried, but I included my recent grades to show them that I mean business. Oh, and it turned out to be a 2 unit class, not .5... Darn!! I should have included it in my amcas app. It would have raised my non-science GPA a tad :laugh:

About the Ads
                                            This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                            7. This thread is locked.