OOS Applicant for Texas Schools (No Significant Ties)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCIpremed139

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking into potentially applying to the Texas MD schools this May. However, I do not have any significant ties to Texas (some family lives there but I have never lived there myself). I know that most schools like to see ties to Texas on your application. My question is... Do you think its worth it for me to complete the application? Please let me know what you think. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Stats: 3.9 GPA 31MCAT
Strong Extracurriculars (reserach, clinical, community service, leadership, publications etc...) and pretty strong letters.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances will be pretty low, but I guess you never know. I have a few out of state classmates, but at least from what I can tell they are a little smarter than the average at my school. I suspect they had amazing stats to get them in

I think it depends on the Texas school - some might be more favorable to out of staters than others. You'll need to do some more in depth research on some of the OOS acceptance rates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah to echo the above posters it will be very difficult (as is the case for most state schools in general). Your best bet is to look at OOS acceptance rates on US NEWS Compass (yes pay the 28 $) and figure out which schools make the most OOS offers annually.

TMDSAS is a lot of extra work, I wouldn't bother. If you had a 40 mcat, sure.