OOS ---> IS tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEdaddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what state schools consider OOS students IS after a year of attendance?

Members don't see this ad.

SUNY Downstate too. I think perhaps all the new york state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of the ohio schools also does I thinks its Toledo but I might be wrong...

one of the ohio schools also does I thinks its Toledo but I might be wrong...

Actually all of the Ohio public schools do that. Residency requirements aren't school policies, they're actually established by the state legislature and apply to every public school in Ohio (medical, law, dental, etc).

That being said, your best chance of getting accepted as an OOS student are at Toledo, Cincy, and Ohio State. While Wright State and NEOUCOM also accept OOS students, the other three accept a larger percentage and have considerably larger class sizes. Those three accept roughly 30-40% out of state. Toledo and Cincy's yearly enrollment is around 155 while OSU is in the 230 range.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the UC's do.

Does anyone know any more states that have this policy?

UNC students can get IS tuition..not sure the process they have to go through, but I know it is possible.

Last edited:
I think it is really easy in Jersey too.

Baylor will let you after a year and if you buy a condo. Other Texas schools won't though (but it's already semi-cheap anyway).

The texas schools have a $1,000 scholarship loophole for oos students. If you get $1k in scholarships or more you pay in state tuition.

The texas schools have a $1,000 scholarship loophole for oos students. If you get $1k in scholarships or more you pay in state tuition.

Eh, but that's not guaranteed to absolutely everyone at every Texas school. It merely depends on funding. I do know that UTSW tries it's hardest to use that loophole, but I don't know that much about other schools.

Eh, but that's not guaranteed to absolutely everyone at every Texas school. It merely depends on funding. I do know that UTSW tries it's hardest to use that loophole, but I don't know that much about other schools.

True that. I haven't even gotten a financial aid packet yet, so I don't even know if I'm getting it. It seems like it would be pretty crappy of the schools to not give it for the few students they have.

This is the one bad spot about EVMS.. Its $66,000 a year and you can't get IS tuition ever. Oh well, I'm still happy I got in.

Is there any policy like this for Virginia schools?

At my VCU interview they stated that we would be paying OOS for all 4 years. I think that is a state-wide policy (?)