This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornelder

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is that your AMCAS or TMDSAS GPA?

If applying out of state, why not shoot for private schools that don’t have missions geared toward in state applicants?

Is that your AMCAS or TMDSAS GPA?

If applying out of state, why not shoot for private schools that don’t have missions geared toward in state applicants?

Thank you for responding!

It's my AMCAS GPA. I also want to shoot for private schools but I'm not sure where to base my list. My advisor told me to choose a few OOS public schools close by to me to apply to in case I didn't make it into any Texas Med schools, although it may end up not mattering.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha @Goro

Which OOS schools are most likely to show interest in a high stat Texan like the OP? It's a question a lot of TX applicants have.

@Faha @Goro

Which OOS schools are most likely to show interest in a high stat Texan like the OP? It's a question a lot of TX applicants have.

If the school does not have a lot of recruitment funds they are unlikely to interview TX applicants.

If the school does not have a lot of recruitment funds they are unlikely to interview TX applicants.

Thanks. How does someone on the outside ascertain whether a school has a scarcity of recruitment funds? Is there something in MSAR an applicant can look to as a proxy?

Thanks. How does someone on the outside ascertain whether a school has a scarcity of recruitment funds? Is there something in MSAR an applicant can look to as a proxy?
I'm afraid there is nothing in the MSAR regarding the size of the endowment or the criteria used to make recruitment offers.

I'm afraid there is nothing in the MSAR regarding the size of the endowment or the criteria used to make recruitment offers.

Based on what you've seen, schools still consider it a waste to interview high stats Texans even though interviews are being conducted virtually these days?

I doubt online interviews will make a significant difference in how many people schools interview. I say this because the limiting factor is how many students the faculty is able to interview.

Based on what you've seen, schools still consider it a waste to interview high stats Texans even though interviews are being conducted virtually these days?
It is still a waste of time if you have no leverage.

Virtual or not, there are only so many interviewers and slots for interviewees to fill.

And then there are the historic norms to consider. It doesn't matter if you could fill all of November with Texans who applied, if only three decide to come, that's a lot of slots, time and effort wasted.

I think because you went to undergrad in TX, it’s harder to convince med schools you’d be willing to leave TX (and likely have to pay more in doing so). But with your stats, I think it’s reasonable to apply OOS if you are genuinely interested and have the financial means.

Are you looking to apply OOS because you’re worried you won’t get into TX schools or you really would like to go to an OOS school?

I think because you went to undergrad in TX, it’s harder to convince med schools you’d be willing to leave TX (and likely have to pay more in doing so). But with your stats, I think it’s reasonable to apply OOS if you are genuinely interested and have the financial means.

Are you looking to apply OOS because you’re worried you won’t get into TX schools or you really would like to go to an OOS school?

Yeah, that's true. Some OOS public schools I'm looking at because of family proximity such as OU and California schools (probably a pipe dream). Others such as UNC because they specialize in primary care which has been my initial goal, but many friends I've talked to say that they've changed their minds on what they want to do after going through rotations in med school.

@Goro @gyngyn Thanks for your valuable feedback. Just to clarify, are the schools that are unlikely to interview OOS texas applicants both private in addition to public? So for example if I applied to Emory/Duke/Keck/NW, would I also be unfavorable just because I'm a Texan?

Yeah, that's true. Some OOS public schools I'm looking at because of family proximity such as OU and California schools (probably a pipe dream). Others such as UNC because they specialize in primary care which has been my initial goal, but many friends I've talked to say that they've changed their minds on what they want to do after going through rotations in med school.

@Goro @gyngyn Thanks for your valuable feedback. Just to clarify, are the schools that are unlikely to interview OOS texas applicants both private in addition to public? So for example if I applied to Emory/Duke/Keck/NW, would I also be unfavorable just because I'm a Texan?
I would put my money on the Really Top Schools to be willing to give you some love.

State schools, no

Reactions: 1 users
Revisiting this but I've made a tentative school list based on scholarships/places I've read up on and like/primary care rankings

University of Oklahoma
University of Colorado
Nova MD
NYU Long Island
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Washington
OSU School of Medicine
UMich
CUNY
UCI
UCSF
UCSD
Duke
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Emory
Mayo
Columbia
Pritzker
Mt. Sinai

@Faha Would greatly appreciate your input, whether I should add or take out more high tier schools, if I should even waste money at Cali schools, or if any other changes need to be made. Thanks so much!

Would remove CUNY as that's a BS/MD program. If you meant SUNY, then there is a strong instate preference for those as a heads up.

Revisiting this but I've made a tentative school list based on scholarships/places I've read up on and like/primary care rankings

University of Oklahoma
University of Colorado
Nova MD
NYU Long Island
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Washington
OSU School of Medicine
UMich
CUNY
UCI
UCSF
UCSD
Duke
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Emory
Mayo
Columbia
Pritzker
Mt. Sinai

@Faha Would greatly appreciate your input, whether I should add or take out more high tier schools, if I should even waste money at Cali schools, or if any other changes need to be made. Thanks so much!
Many OOS MD schools interviews few Texas residents since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school (1,500 matriculated at a Texas MD school and only 232 OOS) . If you have some connection to one of those schools (attended the undergraduate school or a former state resident) then apply to that school. For AMCAS schools I suggest TCU-UNT and Tulane. Some of the newer schools such as NOVA MD, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont and Seton Hall may also be worth trying.