Feb 13, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  • State/Country of Residence: Oregon
  • Ties to other States/Regions: Family in CA, AZ, UT
  • URM? (Y/N): No, but low SES/FAP qualified
  • Year in School: Post-bacc
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Psychology
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.82 (I think it's worth noting I started at a CC and transferred to a very low ranked, small public state university. All prereqs/science classes were from the university, not CC)
    • Post-bacc GPA: 4.0
  • Science GPA: 3.90
  • MCAT Score(s): 521
  • Research Experience:
    • 300 hours in psych lab
    • 80 hours research with National Parks service of Ecuador (abroad) during a school break in undergrad
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.):
    • One poster at regional conference for the psych lab
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
    • 2000 hours scribing in ER by matriculation (500 by application)
    • 100 hours hospital volunteering on surgical oncology floor
    • 100 hours hospital volunteering at entrances to check visitors in, check temps, etc during covid
  • Physician Shadowing: None. I had some lined up, but all cancelled due to covid
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    • 400 hours tutoring low income/refugee youth for 3 years
    • 75 hours at food bank
  • Other Extracurricular Activities:
    • studied abroad in SE Asia for a semester
    • hobbies: painting/art
  • Other Employment History:
    • worked full time (35+ hrs/wk) as retail supervisor throughout undergrad
    • TA during post-bacc for Gen bio and Gen chem
  • Medical School List: I need help!!! I only have one state school (OHSU), so I need help figuring out where I should apply OOS. Please share your advice!
    • T20's: I'm hesitant to apply because even though I have a high MCAT/GPA, I feel like they will look down on going to a CC and the fact that my university has such a low ranking (<200). Idk if my MCAT makes up for it?
    • Others I'm considering: Colorado, UCSD, Arizona, Cincinnati, Rush, Miami, Wake Forest, Tufts, Boston, Georgetown, GW, Utah, Drexel, Albany, NYMC, Einstein, Emory, Geisinger, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Case, Rochester, MCW, Western Michigan, OUWB, Creighton, Vermont, Rutgers

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
Boston University
Dartmouth
Tufts
Brown
Vermont
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Emory
St. Louis
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Colorado
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Kaiser
UCSF
USC Keck
UC:LA

Feb 13, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
Boston University
Dartmouth
Tufts
Brown
Vermont
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Emory
St. Louis
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Colorado
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Kaiser
UCSF
USC Keck
UC:LA
Thank you for the list! Do you think top tier schools like Columbia, Sinai, UCSF, etc will be okay with the fact that I started at a community college and transferred to a four year university? All science classes were done at 4 year, but it is a small state school.

About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thank you for the list! Do you think top tier schools like Columbia, Sinai, UCSF, etc will be okay with the fact that I started at a community college and transferred to a four year university? All science classes were done at 4 year, but it is a small state school.
You will need to check with each school to see if they accept CC credits. There are a few that do not.

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would still apply to some top 20s if I were you (~5-10 schools) and then have the rest be more mid-tiers. If all your prerequisites were done at the university it should be okay, but check the requirements of each med school. With regards to the prestige of your undergrad, your MCAT is sky high, so it should be a good sign of you academic chops, and there are always some students from small/unknown schools even at these top schools. Also the fact that you worked full time during school and did all this is damn impressive, be sure to highlight that.

Of your list I would probably remove Geisinger and Rutgers for low yield for OOS students, the rest you're okay to apply to.

Feb 13, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would still apply to some top 20s if I were you (~5-10 schools) and then have the rest be more mid-tiers. If all your prerequisites were done at the university it should be okay, but check the requirements of each med school. With regards to the prestige of your undergrad, your MCAT is sky high, so it should be a good sign of you academic chops, and there are always some students from small/unknown schools even at these top schools. Also the fact that you worked full time during school and did all this is damn impressive, be sure to highlight that.

Of your list I would probably remove Geisinger and Rutgers for low yield for OOS students, the rest you're okay to apply to.
Thank you so much for your input! Yes, all prereqs were done at university and most science classes were during post-bacc. Wasn't sure about discussing the retail work experience, so it's helpful to know you think it could be beneficial.

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank you so much for your input! Yes, all prereqs were done at university and most science classes were during post-bacc. Wasn't sure about discussing the retail work experience, so it's helpful to know you think it could be beneficial.

Definitely the fact that you worked full time in a service profession is only a positive. Do not leave that out! I'm sure you have many stories and experiences dealing with difficult people and situations from that haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 29, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am also an OR resident with a similar app to you, however you definitely have better ECs than me. I think you should def apply to some T20s, my cycle has been somewhat subpar but I still am waiting to hear from a T20 post interview and I am sure you will have more success than me. and don't worry about your undergrad weighing you down. I know multiple people from my school (Oregon State) that have gotten looks at T20s. feel free to message me I can give you more info on my cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.