OOS Texas School Applicants 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpaw3

Reaction score
Hey non-Texas folks!
I've tried commiserating with Texas residents in my anxious wait for news from Texas schools, but the admission process is so different for us OOS applicants that it makes it difficult to relate. If you're an OOS Texas med school applicant and you want to talk with other OOS applicants, I'd like to make this forum the place to do that! I'll start!

Application submitted: 7/4/2018
Transmitted: 7/25/2018
Interview date: 10/25/2018 (only applied to one Texas school)
No news yet, and not given any info about when I might hear back.

The wait has been pretty rough, and I imagine I'll feel even more stressed/anxious when all of the Texas applicants get their match results tomorrow. How is everyone else feeling about this process? Does anyone know if it's customary for most OOS students to be accepted after the match, or is that just my wishful thinking? ;) Feel free to post about how your cycle has gone, and hopefully we can provide support and encouragement to one another! If this isn't the right venue for a thread like this, feel free to move it wherever it would be better suited.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm definitely looking forward to February! I interviewed at one of my top choices in November, and my interviewer told me that I probably wouldn't hear back until after TX residents matched

Reactions: 1 user
I'm definitely looking forward to February! I interviewed at one of my top choices in November, and my interviewer told me that I probably wouldn't hear back until after TX residents matched

It's nice that your interviewer gave you that heads up! I was thinking that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. Have you heard back from any other schools? I hope you get accepted to your top choice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's nice that your interviewer gave you that heads up! I was thinking that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. Have you heard back from any other schools? I hope you get accepted to your top choice!!

I actually got a physical letter from one TX school saying that they hoped I chose them on match day...I think they mistook me for a TX resident lol

I actually got a physical letter from one TX school saying that they hoped I chose them on match day...I think they mistook me for a TX resident lol

Better to receive that letter than an accidental acceptance letter :eek: Those horror stories keep me up at night, haha.

Does anyone know what day in February we’re expected to hear back?

Interviewed @ 4 Texas schools (3 in the match and Baylor).....have not heard a thing from any since interviews wrapped up in November. I find the whole OOS Texas applicant status extremely murky and unsettling......would really love some transparency about chances for admission....so wish they would please just cut me loose if it’s really not in the cards. Any news from other OOS Texas apps ((good, bad, or other)....even is of it’s old news would be helpful. I know a bunch of Southwestern OOS admissions went out in December and think now OOS admissision here is very unlikely.....Baylor let’s y hang out to dry till the cows come home. The other 2 schools with complete crickets is Long/San Antonio & UTMB/Galveston.....any info greatly appreciated

Interviewed @ 4 Texas schools (3 in the match and Baylor).....have not heard a thing from any since interviews wrapped up in November. I find the whole OOS Texas applicant status extremely murky and unsettling......would really love some transparency about chances for admission....so wish they would please just cut me loose if it’s really not in the cards. Any news from other OOS Texas apps ((good, bad, or other)....even is of it’s old news would be helpful. I know a bunch of Southwestern OOS admissions went out in December and think now OOS admissision here is very unlikely.....Baylor let’s y hang out to dry till the cows come home. The other 2 schools with complete crickets is Long/San Antonio & UTMB/Galveston.....any info greatly appreciated

I feel this on the realest level. I think it's strange that Texas schools aren't required to give OOS students some kind of timeline and/or info about realistically what to expect concerning their chances of being accepted. At this point, I have zero idea if I'm even being considered anymore, so I'm not sure what to think. I wish I had more helpful info to share. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the OOS process for Texas schools!

@wysdoc, do you have any insight on this, or is it totally and completely random and variable?
I have seen at least 16 OOS applicants announce acceptances to Texas schools so far this season. Now that doesn't sound like a lot, but the OOS students don't seem to post on our Texas pages all that much. Also, SDN seems to have fewer regular posters this year than last year.
Remember most TX schools only fill <10% of the class with OOS applicants.

Last year I saw some more Texas offers to OOS applicants happening in late March. Why is that? Well, with OOS applicants mainly applying via AMCAS to schools in other states, they are waiting to hear from those other schools. AMCAS is more of a rolling process. Maybe some of those OOS students were on a Texas WL and got an offer, and/or opted for the lower cost of Texas schools for their final choice. These offers did include Baylor and UTSW.

And @Seyeydnav, I'm gonna tease you a little bit now. You ain't from around these parts, are ya? There may be crickets in San Antonio, but there are no cows in Baylor. The cows are all at that Aggie school Texas A&M. :cow:
Baylor does tend to let almost everyone stay in the running until the end, when they send out a very kind letter to all the Wait Listers saying that their class is now complete. However, last year there was a week of carnage soon after Match Day with a flood of rejection letters to OOS applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel this on the realest level. I think it's strange that Texas schools aren't required to give OOS students some kind of timeline and/or info about realistically what to expect concerning their chances of being accepted. At this point, I have zero idea if I'm even being considered anymore, so I'm not sure what to think. I wish I had more helpful info to share. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the OOS process for Texas schools!
If you haven't received a rejection notice, you are still in the running. I don't see how waiting to hear is any different for OOSers applying to Texas than it is for AMCAS applicants in any state?

If you haven't received a rejection notice, you are still in the running. I don't see how waiting to hear is any different for OOSers applying to Texas than it is for AMCAS applicants in any state?

It probably isn't different objectively, but it feels different since there are so few spots available to OOS students in Texas. I imagine it would be pretty easy to fill up those spots and be finished with OOS acceptances early in the cycle (meaning that not many OOS would be accepted later on), but that could also be my lack of understanding of how the OOS process works.

It probably isn't different objectively, but it feels different since there are so few spots available to OOS students in Texas. I imagine it would be pretty easy to fill up those spots and be finished with OOS acceptances early in the cycle (meaning that not many OOS would be accepted later on), but that could also be my lack of understanding of how the OOS process works.
Yes those OOS spots could be filled up early, but if an OOS applicant later ditches the Texas school for someplace closer to home, the spot is open again.

Members don't see this ad :)

For me at least, they are distinctively different....7/7 of the non-Texas AMCAS schools I interviewed have provided me some sort of decision communication after my interview ....the 4 Texas schools all complete silence (not counting Dean Judiannes’ nonspecific emails at Long....nice, but not enough)....

For me at least, they are distinctively different....7/7 of the non-Texas AMCAS schools I interviewed have provided me some sort of decision communication after my interview ....the 4 Texas schools all complete silence (not counting Dean Judiannes’ nonspecific emails at Long....nice, but not enough)....
I understand what you're saying. One difference may be that since we have this Match Day event with the release of lots of acceptances all the same day, Texas schools tend not to make a Wait List until after the match.

I got waitlisted at Paul Foster today and I'm feeling pretty deflated. :/ But at least I finally got some news. I'm not sure what to expect as far as waitlist movement for OOS students, but I'm hopeful that a seat will open up later on.

I got waitlisted at Paul Foster today and I'm feeling pretty deflated. :/ But at least I finally got some news. I'm not sure what to expect as far as waitlist movement for OOS students, but I'm hopeful that a seat will open up later on.

+1 for waitlisted at Foster and I also got waitlisted at McGovern :(

OOS, Interviewed at Long and Lubbock and still haven't heard anything back....

Hi y'all! I also got waitlisted for Foster as well. I haven't heard anything from Lubbock either. I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice texas school too. When I interviewed at Long, the OOS med student at my table said that she got her acceptance in May. We might need to buckle in for the long haul; we can get offers up until orientation day for the school. On one hand, being OOS sucks because there are only 10% spots. On the other hand, like wysdoc said (she really is the wisest) a lot of accepted students will choose to go elsewhere. Also, we are not locked into a particular school (like Match), and get to decide until April. Good luck to all of y'all fellow OOS'ers!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi y'all! I also got waitlisted for Foster as well. I haven't heard anything from Lubbock either. I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice texas school too. When I interviewed at Long, the OOS med student at my table said that she got her acceptance in May. We might need to buckle in for the long haul; we can get offers up until orientation day for the school. On one hand, being OOS sucks because there are only 10% spots. On the other hand, like wysdoc said (she really is the wisest) a lot of accepted students will choose to go elsewhere. Also, we are not locked into a particular school (like Match), and get to decide until April. Good luck to all of y'all fellow OOS'ers!

Thanks for the encouragement!! I appreciate the insight you received from the OOS student at Long. Prior experiences help shine light on what we might expect this cycle :)

While the odds of OOS at Texas schools isnt much different than other states, the mechanics of when OOS acceptances are given are likely impacted by the state regulations that at least 90% of matriculating students be in state residents. While I have no specific information on the mechanics of how Texas schools do this, I would imagine that they either WL most OOS who could acceptees and limit out right acceptances to a fixed low percent of seats (5% or less).

Your logic makes sense, and I really hope you're right! There's hope for us yet :)

Feeling ultra-blessed! OOS Texas A&M accepted! LM~75. Weird because I was waitlisted, then the next day accepted

Reactions: 4 users
I currently live in Texas with a relative, and I don't think I am a resident. Would it be wise to still apply to schools in Texas?

I currently live in Texas with a relative, and I don't think I am a resident. Would it be wise to still apply to schools in Texas?

If you don't mind spending the extra cash and the extra time. Though, to get into a texas school as OOS you should have a great mcat and gpa I think (correct me if I'm wrong people)

Even if you are not a resident, I would still definitely apply! Texas school's applications are cheap compared to AMCAS. Apply if you wouldn't mind staying in TX for med school. Though OOS has less spots, I would think you would would have a leg up on some other OOS students since you already live there. Texas tuition is cheap too.

Even if you are not a resident, I would still definitely apply! Texas school's applications are cheap compared to AMCAS. Apply if you wouldn't mind staying in TX for med school. Though OOS has less spots, I would think you would would have a leg up on some other OOS students since you already live there. Texas tuition is cheap too.
What's the requirement to become a resident? To live there for a year? I hope there's something on the application that we can mark saying that we live in Texas.

What's the requirement to become a resident? To live there for a year? I hope there's something on the application that we can mark saying that we live in Texas.

TMDSAS Medical: Residency Information

Check this link out! You might be considered a resident for the 2019 application cycle if you have been in Texas since Oct 1st 2018 and meet some other requirements. For specifics, refer to the link above. Tmdsas also can answer questions by phone.

Not just living there but either a) your parents live there or b) you live and work there for over a year by the time you apply. Living there to go to college does not count.

Hi all,
OOS applicant here. Managed to get 5 TMDSAS and Baylor interviews and two acceptances. Never thought I'd say it, but loved the parts of Texas that I got to visit. Due to some recent developments, I let go of my Texas acceptances. Not sure how it works for OOS students withdrawing but hope it goes to one of y'all deserving people. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,
OOS applicant here. Managed to get 5 TMDSAS and Baylor interviews and two acceptances. Never thought I'd say it, but loved the parts of Texas that I got to visit. Due to some recent developments, I let go of my Texas acceptances. Not sure how it works for OOS students withdrawing but hope it goes to one of y'all deserving people. Good luck.
You had an amazing application year, congratulations

Hi all,

Congrats on your acceptances!! That's awesome! And we appreciate you letting schools know that you won't be attending there. Best of luck to you wherever you end up :)

Just for posterity sake.....dates for finally receivimg communication/waitlist emails for the various Texas programs after interviews in October and November....

UT Long San Antonio: 2/1
UTMB: 2/13
UT Southwestern: 2/15
Baylor: nada.....fruit drying on the vine

Just for posterity sake.....dates for finally receivimg communication/waitlist emails for the various Texas programs after interviews in October and November....

UT Long San Antonio: 2/1
UTMB: 2/13
UT Southwestern: 2/15
Baylor: nada.....fruit drying on the vine
At least Baylor was upfront about keeping people in the dark on interview day. lol

Your logic makes sense, and I really hope you're right! There's hope for us yet :)

Have you heard anything? Seems like being OOS is a rough gig for Texas public meds unless they need an applicant’s high MCAT or UIM status to help with reporting numbers.

I was waitlisted at PLFSOM on 2/1, and I haven't heard anything since then.

OOS candidate
MCAT 514
Interviewed in August 2018
Have not heard from them
Called last week and was told that decisions are still being made
What does it mean?????????

OOS candidate
MCAT 514
Interviewed in August 2018
Have not heard from them
Called last week and was told that decisions are still being made
What does it mean?????????
Your SDN username is so great, haha. Which Texas school are you referring to? Have you seen any other OOS students receive notification from that school?

If I recall you are applying MD/PhD - I haven't seen anyone announce either an acceptance or a rejection from A&M on the SDN boards.
you are right
R from PhD
still under consideration for MD apparently

you are right
R from PhD
Sorry to hear it.
All the Texas schools have been very quiet with only a few new acceptances (mostly Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU) and a few offers from WLs in the past 3 weeks.

you are right
R from PhD
This process is so stressful! Sorry you still haven't heard anything about the MD program. As far as I've heard, a lot of Texas WL (and OOS) movement happens in late April and May, so there's definitely still time :)

Accepted earlier this week to UTMB.....definitely landed and turned off the engine

Reactions: 3 users