OOS UConn - Some Clarifying Q's about gaining CT residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miriemirie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to UConn as an out of state student, which I am really excited about! This school is one of my top choices, but as an OOS student cost is definitely a factor. From searching around the forum it seems most people readily gain residency after a year, and while I was at my interview, the people I spoke to indicated the same.
What I'm curious about is how early before the semester starts would you need to move there to ensure this can happen, and whether receiving any monetary support from your parents would jeopardize your application for residency? (I am too old to be claimed by my parents for taxes and have been working for a while, but they are willing to chip in room and board.) Are there any OOS students who went this route that can speak to their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, thats great that you can gain residency so fast in Connecticut. One of the docs I shadowed tried to gain residency in Maryland by buying a house there and he still couldn't qualify for in state tuition. Some states require you to live and work in the state.

Also, you are allowed to receive annual gifts from your parents up to about $25,000 without paying taxes on it so I doubt such financial assistance would affect your ability to claim residency.

Good luck!

It's definitely a plus, in addition to the other great things about the school!
I was able to talk to someone from the school today and clear things up. Apparently the timeline is no issue as long as you start the semester normally. Getting assistance from your parents after the first year can jeopardize your status, though (I didn't ask how much, so perhaps up to that amount could be okay?). I'm sure we'll be able to work something out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will still have to pay OOS for the first year and then you will get in-state for the remaining three years. There is no certain time that you have to be here by to get this done though. There are a few requirements that they want to see for in-state, but its very doable. Financial support from family will not change this.

Thanks! Slightly off-topic @Bereno, would it be alright to PM you with one more question? (Your financial projections worksheet has been a lifesaver, by the way!)

Thanks! Slightly off-topic @Bereno, would it be alright to PM you with one more question? (Your financial projections worksheet has been a lifesaver, by the way!)

It's your thread, so do what you want with it haha. Always feel free to PM me :)