Open letter I sent to EvoDevo for being shut out (my offer still in housing forum?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YEAH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear EvoDevo,

Hi. I take exception to your call that this is "a dupe". I do know that it would have ROCKED to have a 4th year medical student actually live with me for a month while they do an externship in Hawaii, and help me look into the future of medical school in what it's really like, and to guide me through some of the ropes with the application process and put things in perspective. That is a valuable service well worth its price to someone--so I wonder why you've taken it upon yourself to step in and lock me out in this so called "community". Why can't I even have my free say here without your interference??

Further, the terms I'm talking about include both roommate rent and service, or just service alone, if it bothers you to think that I could "get away with" not paying for a room. But tell me what I am "getting away with" if that is how you perceive things? My time and experience in med school have been hard won as you must know if you're a 1.something med student. That is worth something. No, it is not cheapened by being exchanged for a room. THIS IS ALL HYPOTHETICAL--I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TRUE MOTIVE IN GIVING ME A HARD TIME POSTING IS. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME INSIGHT FOR MY IGNORANCE.

If you don't have the vision to see the value--if only to inspire someone by the presence of a med student to work harder on their MCAT studying, or O-chem course, or whatever--of having someone who has actually made it to med school, then I am sorry for your lack of imagination.

Nobody is going to notice my add in the housing wanted forum either! The best place to put a swap for the creative barter I am offering is here, where premed students who are facing this hurdle go--they wont look for this offer in the Housing Forum!! No one is EXPECTING this kind of rare and special offer! Yet you're killing this before it even has a chance to get off the ground...

I have been having a very hard time trying to make my student budget last through interview season. It is frustrating to be shut down here and constantly moved you know--is that your goal? Well, you can congratulate yourself for achieving it. That would be incredibly petty of you too--but if that's where your soul lives, a pitty for your smallness of character. Nobody is going to notice my add in the housing wanted forum--what is the "appropriate" place for it if not here?! The best place to put a swap for the creative barter I am offering is here, it seems to me--I am open to a better idea if it's genuine...If it's genuine. [I edited out what I wrote here because I think it's just inflammatory and not really necessary; it originally read "which it doesn't seem to be from you, brother".]

Why does this even bother you?? I would be happy to verify with the person, or you, or whoever my status if that is the issue. There is NOTHING I can see wrong with my offer--nothing sinister, underhanded, or "a dupe". This stinks that I have to even explain myself. IF (and that would be interesting to see) anyone is indeed interested enough in my offer to start talking to me, I would provide them the secretaries name at JABSOM in the department I'll be rotating with. That should pretty much seal the identity issue, huh? ["when she recognizes my name and vouches for me" is what I should have added in my original letter to EvoDevo, but didn't].

No scam here, dude. But you manage to put obstacles in front of me anyway. Why don't you get out of the way and let this work??

I am not writing this rhetorically. I would really appreciate an answer to why you decided this thread should be shut down (what does inappropriate for this forum mean?), and what the supposed "dupe" is in this that you refer to.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I gotta agree with Evo...

YEAH said:
Dear EvoDevo,

Hi. I take exception to your call that this is "a dupe". I do know that it would have ROCKED to have a 4th year medical student actually live with me for a month while they do an externship in Hawaii, and help me look into the future of medical school in what it's really like, and to guide me through some of the ropes with the application process and put things in perspective. That is a valuable service well worth its price to someone--so I wonder why you've taken it upon yourself to step in and lock me out in this so called "community". Why can't I even have my free say here without your interference??

Further, the terms I'm talking about include both roommate rent and service, or just service alone, if it bothers you to think that I could "get away with" not paying for a room. But tell me what I am "getting away with" if that is how you perceive things? My time and experience in med school have been hard won as you must know if you're a 1.something med student. That is worth something. No, it is not cheapened by being exchanged for a room. THIS IS ALL HYPOTHETICAL--I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TRUE MOTIVE IN GIVING ME A HARD TIME POSTING IS. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME INSIGHT FOR MY IGNORANCE.

If you don't have the vision to see the value--if only to inspire someone by the presence of a med student to work harder on their MCAT studying, or O-chem course, or whatever--of having someone who has actually made it to med school, then I am sorry for your lack of imagination.

Nobody is going to notice my add in the housing wanted forum either! The best place to put a swap for the creative barter I am offering is here, where premed students who are facing this hurdle go--they wont look for this offer in the Housing Forum!! No one is EXPECTING this kind of rare and special offer! Yet you're killing this before it even has a chance to get off the ground...

I have been having a very hard time trying to make my student budget last through interview season. It is frustrating to be shut down here and constantly moved you know--is that your goal? Well, you can congratulate yourself for achieving it. That would be incredibly petty of you too--but if that's where your soul lives, a pitty for your smallness of character. Nobody is going to notice my add in the housing wanted forum--what is the "appropriate" place for it if not here?! The best place to put a swap for the creative barter I am offering is here, it seems to me--I am open to a better idea if it's genuine, which it does not seem to be from you, brother.

Why does this even bother you?? I would be happy to verify with the person, or you, or whoever my status if that is the issue. There is NOTHING I can see wrong with my offer--nothing sinister, underhanded, or "a dupe". This stinks that I have to even explain myself. IF (and that would be interesting to see) anyone is indeed interested enough in my offer to start talking to me, I would provide them the secretaries name at JABSOM in the department I'll be rotating with. That should pretty much seal the identity issue, huh?

No scam here, dude. But you manage to put obstacles in front of me anyway. Why don't you get out of the way and let this work??

I am not writing this rhetorically. I would really appreciate an answer to why you decided this thread should be shut down (what does inappropriate for this forum mean?), and what the supposed "dupe" is in this that you refer to.

Thanks.

This thread will spontaneously combust in 5....4.....3.......2......1......

Members don't see this ad :)
ExtraAverage said:
This thread will spontaneously combust in 5....4.....3.......2......1......

Haha..yeah, I got kind of steamed, since it doesn't make sense to me. But it's nice that it's out in the open. Maybe I'll understand why people agree with EvoDevo. Which is ???

If you agree with EvoDevo, can you at least tell me why please? Thanks.

i believe the "dupe" you're wondering about stands for "duplicate". did you post your advertisement more than once?

YEAH said:
Haha..yeah, I got kind of steamed, since it doesn't make sense to me. But it's nice that it's out in the open. Maybe I'll understand why people agree with EvoDevo. Which is ???

If you agree with EvoDevo, can you at least tell me why please? Thanks.

Here's one other thing (this is great--now I'm replying to myself..heh, at least I guess I'll have an intellegent conversation as Goljan says):

If you think this is not a good trade, then that is fine too. But why lock/move the trade and make that decision for someone else? Maybe someone else has a different point and LIKES this idea (I don't mean just me). Why put the kabosh on things??

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :thumbup:

YEAH said:
Here's one other thing (this is great--now I'm replying to myself..heh, at least I guess I'll have an intellegent conversation as Goljan says):

If you think this is not a good trade, then that is fine too. But why lock/move the trade and make that decision for someone else? Maybe someone else has a different point and LIKES this idea (I don't mean just me). Why put the kabosh on things??

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :thumbup:
When I read the original post, it just hit me wrong for a few reasons.

1. It reeks of arrogance to think that you are somehow qualified to help somebody "get into medical school" especially because you aren't even a US medical school student.

2. It comes across as taking advantage of the anxiety that we all have on this board about wondering what our chances are etc.

3. There is an appropriate forum for housing issues, and you didn't post there.

4. It was a duplicate thread.

5. SDN Pre-allo forum is designed by default to do all of the things you advertised you would do - and SDN does it without us having to put up our homes.

there.. there is a response.

YEAH, it seems that you are mostly upset because you are confused about what "dupe" means. While dupe in the traditional sense refers to deceiving someone, dupe on an internet forum is short for "duplicate," meaning you already posted this somewhere else. It sounds like Evo closed down your post because it already existed in the housing forum (where it actually belonged).

Go to Craigs list to post your housing offers. SDN Pre-allo isn't the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.