Open letter to this forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is sort of an open reply all, not directed at anyone

ive noticed a real trend toward nasty bickering and people just being plain rude since the first wave of exam scores came out wednesday for countless reasons. I just hope people can get over a few numbers and not forget why we are all here and how you should carry yourselves as physicians. Nobody here wants to appease anyone's superiority complex.

This is one test, and youre damn right to argue its importance.. but i strongly feel that if people's anonymous boasting, celebration, whatever you want to call it, on a public forum, and/or your own feelings of inadequacy are going to turn you into an ahole, you should leave. There are still people on here who are legitimately seeking advice and still have to take the test. Don't forget to be supportive and help them, and don't come back to this forum if all youre going to do is whine and get into flaming wars. If thats your reason for being here, I strongly suggest you instead look ahead, not behind and focus on third year coming up. Go talk in the rotations forums, but leave this forum be. If you feel you can be helpful to those still studying, then by all means, post away and help your future colleagues out. I'm sure you were all helped by someone here who had already taken the test. I know I was.

I may be overstepping my bounds and I apologize if I am, but reading this forum has been horrible the past 48 hrs compared to how helpful its been for me all summer long. I hope we can get back to normal soon and put all this bickering to an end.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well said Poker :thumbup:, unfortunately this will always happen every year, and like the above poster said i think majority of us think along your line in regards to the topic

also a little cynicism is good to make everyone realize this is an internet forum and should take everything with a pinch of salt

Members don't see this ad :)

ive noticed a real trend toward nasty bickering and people just being plain rude since the first wave of exam scores came out wednesday for countless reasons. I just hope people can get over a few numbers and not forget why we are all here and how you should carry yourselves as physicians. Nobody here wants to appease anyone's superiority complex.

This is one test, and youre damn right to argue its importance.. but i strongly feel that if people's anonymous boasting, celebration, whatever you want to call it, on a public forum, and/or your own feelings of inadequacy are going to turn you into an ahole, you should leave. There are still people on here who are legitimately seeking advice and still have to take the test. Don't forget to be supportive and help them, and don't come back to this forum if all youre going to do is whine and get into flaming wars. If thats your reason for being here, I strongly suggest you instead look ahead, not behind and focus on third year coming up. Go talk in the rotations forums, but leave this forum be. If you feel you can be helpful to those still studying, then by all means, post away and help your future colleagues out. I'm sure you were all helped by someone here who had already taken the test. I know I was.

I may be overstepping my bounds and I apologize if I am, but reading this forum has been horrible the past 48 hrs compared to how helpful its been for me all summer long. I hope we can get back to normal soon and put all this bickering to an end.

Thanks

I'm currently involved in some of that bickering so i appreciate your post.
Thanks

well said Poker :thumbup:, unfortunately this will always happen every year, and like the above poster said i think majority of us think along your line in regards to the topic

also a little cynicism is good to make everyone realize this is an internet forum and should take everything with a pinch of salt

the only reason I made this a separate thread was to avoid alluding to any particular argument in any particular thread. I just wanted to make a general comment.

Thanks

I agree with you, but given my few years of experience on here, it's not going to change anytime soon. You have to consider some of the folks who post on here--folks who probably don't get a whole lot of attention in real life and feel the need to start drama for whatever reason. Stay above the fray...if people are acting like douchebags, simply ignore them.

I'm pretty sure I'm part of the reason this thread was created. I wasn't starting a flame war/bickering. I was simply wondering what propelled people to come out of no where just to post/boast about their scores.

The people who outlined their study plan and showed their progress with practice exams and put their real score that makes sense, there isn't much bragging going on there. But many people didn't do that, they simply came on and said "256!!!". That's not useful.

I agree with you, but given my few years of experience on here, it's not going to change anytime soon. You have to consider some of the folks who post on here--folks who probably don't get a whole lot of attention in real life and feel the need to start drama for whatever reason. Stay above the fray...if people are acting like douchebags, simply ignore them.

I would argue that the people who need to brag about their score on SDN have no one to receive attention from in real life. But who knows.

I would argue that the people who need to brag about their score on SDN have no one to receive attention from in real life. But who knows.

Honestly, I dont see the problem if one choses to post their scores here, its an anonymous forum and a far better outlet then telling your fellow classmates (re: golfman's thread)

Honestly, I dont see the problem if one choses to post their scores here, its an anonymous forum and a far better outlet then telling your fellow classmates (re: golfman's thread)

I think that for some people who have been here for several years our SDN persona have been reflective of our real persona. I really feel like i know some of you as well as my real classmates (the online you at least). So i would react to good or bad news/scores the same way i would if a clasmate told me. Anonymous as it may be, its not a fantasy world. Its real people with real (most times) experiences.

I think that for some people who have been here for several years our SDN persona have been reflective of our real persona. I really feel like i know some of you as well as my real classmates (the online you at least). So i would react to good or bad news/scores the same way i would if a clasmate told me. Anonymous as it may be, its not a fantasy world. Its real people with real (most times) experiences.

I understand what you're saying, but i still draw the line between here and people I interact with in my day to day life. Its not the same.. at all

There's no problem at all. I never said there was. Just like there's no problem with wearing your white coat when you go grocery shopping because the pockets are just so damn useful.

There's no problem, it's not wrong and it's not really offensive, but it's just a toolish thing to do. That's all.

There's no problem at all. I never said there was. Just like there's no problem with wearing your white coat when you go grocery shopping because the pockets are just so damn useful.

There's no problem, it's not wrong and it's not really offensive, but it's just a toolish thing to do. That's all.

I saw a guy grocery shopping in his scrubs once. Straight out of anatomy lab :laugh:

The people who outlined their study plan and showed their progress with practice exams and put their real score that makes sense, there isn't much bragging going on there. But many people didn't do that, they simply came on and said "256!!!". That's not useful.

I think it's entirely reasonable for people to share their step 1 scores in a thread labeled "step 1 scores" if they choose. You can make a case that it's not "useful," but I don't agree that this site exists only to be useful, or that sharing that information is necessarily harmful. If someone posts that they got a 256, nothing really changes - you knew before they posted that someone got a 256, and you still don't know who it is.

Anonymity is what separates SDN from just talking with med school colleagues. Anonymity has significant advantages - honest feedback, avoidance of stigma - and some annoying (but trivial) drawbacks - lying, general jerkishness. I strongly believe that support (or insult) is only meaningful on a personal level, and I'd never take much stock in either if it came from SDN. At it's best, SDN is a place where people will tell you what they really think, unclouded by what they think of you personally.

I think also if you've gotten a lot of help from people on the forum, it's nice to share with them how you did. Not particularly "useful", but it's a nice thing to do for people who helped and supported you, so they can see that their contributions really helped. Several of my teachers have asked that I share my scores with them and I definitely plan on doing it when I get them back.