calmd

15+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
I am looking for open slots in programs. Are there programs out there that are having unfilled slots. Any guidance would be helpful. Geography is not a problem.

NuMD97

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
The New England Journal of Medicine (print version; the online version was recently revamped and I personally find it a tad confusing now) shows unexpected openings under "Graduate Education". The American Academy of Family Practice has an 800 number for unfilled positions that are available throughout the year. The American College of Physicians has a directory of its members e-mail addresses if you are considering dunning by
e-mail (it does work). I hope some of this is helpful to you in your quest. Good luck!:)

Jani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hi there ,

Could somebody tell me what this "open slot" means ?

Are these the underfilled programs from last year ? It's kind of surprising to me 'cos Scut work list of underfilled programs is quite long, and does this mean they couldn't find anybody to fill there program ??

Thanks

NuMD97

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
Yes, Jani. Open slots mean unfilled positions. The one from Scutwork is the post Match list from this past admission cycle in March, 2002. The ones I cited earlier are of more recent vintage. Hope this helps.:)

Jani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Num97

So this means they are still recruiting , are they ??
And some current residents are running away or something and make open slots available??
Well, this residency game doesn't seem to stop anywhere,
does it ?

Neurogirl

Resident Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2000
Visit site
Status
The list on scutwork is the post match, but pre scramble list. The VAST majority of those spots were filled in the scramble. That list is basically useless, other than to tell you which programs had a hard time in the match last year. BTW, programs that don't fill, do so for a variety of reasons. Rarely, a program doesn't fill because the PD is too picky, but most of the time, it's because there is something wrong with the program (too malignant).