1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Residency Slots

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by calmd, Sep 3, 2002.

1. calmd

calmd New Member

I am looking for open slots in programs. Are there programs out there that are having unfilled slots. Any guidance would be helpful. Geography is not a problem.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ApacheIndian

ApacheIndian philomath
    10+ Year Member

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Scutwork.com has some links for Unfilled programs. Check there.

Best of luck.

5. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The New England Journal of Medicine (print version; the online version was recently revamped and I personally find it a tad confusing now) shows unexpected openings under "Graduate Education". The American Academy of Family Practice has an 800 number for unfilled positions that are available throughout the year. The American College of Physicians has a directory of its members e-mail addresses if you are considering dunning by
    e-mail (it does work). I hope some of this is helpful to you in your quest. Good luck!:)

6. Jani

Jani Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi there ,

Could somebody tell me what this "open slot" means ?

Are these the underfilled programs from last year ? It's kind of surprising to me 'cos Scut work list of underfilled programs is quite long, and does this mean they couldn't find anybody to fill there program ??

Thanks

7. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, Jani. Open slots mean unfilled positions. The one from Scutwork is the post Match list from this past admission cycle in March, 2002. The ones I cited earlier are of more recent vintage. Hope this helps.:)

8. Jani

Jani Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Num97

So this means they are still recruiting , are they ??
    And some current residents are running away or something and make open slots available??
    Well, this residency game doesn't seem to stop anywhere,
    does it ?

9. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

The list on scutwork is the post match, but pre scramble list. The VAST majority of those spots were filled in the scramble. That list is basically useless, other than to tell you which programs had a hard time in the match last year. BTW, programs that don't fill, do so for a variety of reasons. Rarely, a program doesn't fill because the PD is too picky, but most of the time, it's because there is something wrong with the program (too malignant).