LTforPrez

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I saw on the AAOMS website that there is a PGY-2 position available in Houston starting next year. Does anyone know anything about the program? How competitive? Malignant? Scope? Faculty? Why did a resident leave? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

psiyung

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
I spoke to someone in the OS department there and supposedly the guy was being worked to death (her exact words).

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I saw on the AAOMS website that there is a PGY-2 position available in Houston starting next year. Does anyone know anything about the program? How competitive? Malignant? Scope? Faculty? Why did a resident leave? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Competitive? No, I got in. Malignant? No. Scope? Better than some, worse than others. As far as the resident leaving because he got worked to death, that is wrong. He decided that he didn't want to owe the navy 7 years of his life. He was also a little clueless as to what residency entailed. Another good example of making sure you really love OMS before you start. He was perfectly OK spending the rest of his life as a general dentist, a sure sign that you aren't cut out for surgery. If you have any questions about the program you can P.M. me. As far as scope goes... We are heavy in trauma. We get plenty of dental-alveolar (sounds gay but I spent time at some places where the chiefs can't take out thirds...gay). We have a guy who does a lot of secondary cranio-facial stuff. No cancer, neck disections etc. We have a guy coming next year who does a lot of cosmetics but he's pretty old so we'll see how that goes. Weak in orthognathics but they are working on that. Big program, lots of different rotations/environments.

About the Ads

Doggie

Professional Jackass
15+ Year Member
how's mark gonna fill this pg-2 spot? take one extra military res next year?
2nd year res across the country can't just quit and go to houston can they?

I suppose they can always pluck some one-year intern from another program to fill in their spots. Last year, an intern at my program was offered a 1st year spot of a 4-year program during the interview.

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
how's mark gonna fill this pg-2 spot? take one extra military res next year?
2nd year res across the country can't just quit and go to houston can they?

Sure they can. One did it last year.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.