Ophhto fellowship factors

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by Merlin0082, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Merlin0082

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey guys,

I'm a first year ophtho resident, and I'm pretty set on doing a cornea fellowship.

I'm not really sure what to focus on to best prepare myself at this time. Should be focusing on OKAP scores? Or trying to do cornea research? Or just reading cornea stuff?

Thanks!

2. DrZeke

DrZeke yzarc gniog ylwolS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Set on cornea but wondering about glaucoma ?
    You sound pretty set my friend ;)

3. docta9

2+ Year Member

1. Be a good person. It is helpful if the cornea faculty like you. Also helpful if other faculty, residents, and clinic/hospital staff like you. Be a tricky person that is unlikable by some people and you might get away with it but it can also bite you.
    1a. Don't be lazy. One resident tried his best to do the least amount of work. For glaucoma follow-up, he tried not to do gonioscopy or a dilated exam.

2. Develop a good ophthalmology knowledge base.

3. Cornea research helps #1 most but can also make your c.v. look good.

4. Merlin0082

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks a lot Docta.

I've heard mixed things about OKAP score weight; does OKAP matter at all for the fellowship process?

5. 100D

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One of the least important factors.
    It is only meant for internal use within your residency.
    A few fellowships will ask for scores though (none that I applied to did).
    That being said, if you bomb the OKAP, your PD letter may not be the hottest.
    I would concentrate on being the best resident you can be in clinic and OR.
    Then getting to know faculty, usually via research projects, which will lead to strong letters, which matters the most.

6. Slide

Slide Finally, no more "training"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some programs will ask for OKAP scores but that's it. Many programs I applied to asked for them, but it was never really discussed during interviews. The programs that ask for them usually will want you to e-mail or fax scores to the fellowship coordinator.

In addition to the above, one thing I wish I could have done was network more with other programs during national meetings like ARVO, ASRS, or AAO. Usually you need to have your attendings introduce you (which is where research comes in).

As far as fellowship goes, for better or for worse some of it depends on how well your letter writers are known and the program you're from. The regional bias is not as strong as it is for residency but there's still an aspect of it.

100D likes this.