Ophthalmology and surgical loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyerish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone already own / use loupes? I am thinking about buying a pair, and then I was thinking maybe we could do a sort of "group order" here on the SDN and save ourselves a few $$. I have found a few that I like so far, but I'd love to hear various opinions. Also, I would love to hear some opinions on TTL vs. flip-up as far as optics is concerned...

Eyerish

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year ophtho resident. I recently took the plunge and bought a set of loupes. After much deliberation, I went with Designs for Vision. I liked their titanium frames (very lightweight) and our oculoplastics attending thinks they are best optically. TTL loupes will have better optics than flip ups. I would go with those. The best bet is to try a bunch of brands before you buy. It's easy to get the reps to come to your program and showcase the loupes for you. The prices are variable but the resident prices aren't bad. I paid $865 total for mine. Adjustable loupes are usually pretty bad optically. You should get loupes fitted for you, but of course that's my opinion.