Ophthalmology as a Military Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishsticks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping to start a new thread regarding life as a military ophthalmologist. I'll start with a quick background. I'm a 3rd year medical student and I'm planning on applying to civilian ophthalmology this summer. I've thought about serving in the military throughout my entire life. My grandfather was a lifer, and both my father and uncle served. You may wonder why I didn't do HPSP or go to USUHS, the short answer is that I was lucky enough to be offered a very good scholarship to attend my dream medical school. Reading this forum back as a premed made me aware of the possibility of doing FAP through one of the branches, so I knew I'd still have the option at the end of medical school.

I basically want to join the military because I've had an strong urge to dedicate at least a portion of my life to serving those who serve our country. Is the FAP still a viable option for ophthalmology? When applying to FAP can we apply to all 3 branches to increase the odds of getting a spot? Can we receive FAP benefits PGY1-PGY4? What is the process/possibility/outlook on pursuit of fellowship? <-- I imagine this is related to the needs of the military. Are any military ophthalmologists active in research? Does anyone have an updated perspective on life as a military ophthalmologist? What branch has the most favorable future projection for ophthalmology?

Tons of questions! I know many of them have been answered in previous threads, however, I think it'd be advantageous to have some updated answers.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Fishsticks

Feel free to PM me if you'd like

Members don't see this ad.

Your post would be better suited to the military page.

There is generally no shortage of interested applicants for the military's residencies in ophthalmology, both from interns and GMOs. While it is possible to join the reserves while as a resident, getting support under FAP usually depends on anticipated needs that are in excess of the services' ability to produce specialty graduates from their own programs. You should contact a medical recruiter for more details once you have an acceptance for ophthalmology training.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the reserves were also an option for residents. I'll have to check in to that. I'll repost in the military forum.
-Fishsticks

You can also choose, after training, to work at a VA. There's definitely more demand for ophthalmology in the veteran population. The veterans are generally great patients and don't care whether you served. I hope to spend at least some of my career at a VA hospital.