Ophthalmology at UVa and VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eleazar82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a first-time poster to this forum, but I've been following it for a while. I was curious: does anyone have any opinions about the ophthalmology programs at the University of Virginia or Virginia Commonwealth University? How competitive is the match for these 2 programs? Are they quality departments? Any information is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

University of Virginia is in a nice town of Charlottesville. Thomas Jefferson's home, Montecello, is very close to the town.

Their resident go to the VA in Salem. However, that hospital only has one full time ophthalmologist, albeit a very competent one. UVa's oculoplastic faculty quit. I think they have only one faculty for a number of sub-specialties. Their retina faculty member is a member of the RRC. Even though residents love not having any trauma while on call, is there enough trauma there?

I do not know much about the Medical College of Virginia except that the former chair stepped down due to ophthalmic health reasons. This is not a secret. He said so.