Ophthalmology away rotation necessity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noobertuber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M3 interested in ophthalmology with a mostly competitive application (research, boards). Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I will have <5 weeks to: complete all ophthalmology away rotations and get letters of rec from these rotations. From everything I've read, this is bad. I have done a 2 week ophthalmology rotation at as part of 3rd year (and will have 1-2 letters of rec), but the hospital doesn't have an ophthalmology residency.

As I see it, I have a few options:
  1. Go ahead and submit my app possibly without an away rotation.
  2. Take a research year (a little excessive as I already have significant publications) and get some away rotations in then.
  3. Go for radiology instead. Not ideal as I don't have radiology-specific research.
  4. ???
Any advice? I'm a little lost here. Is it plausible to overcome dearth of aways with other aspects of application (step, research, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M3 interested in ophthalmology with a mostly competitive application (research, boards). Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I will have <5 weeks to: complete all ophthalmology away rotations and get letters of rec from these rotations. From everything I've read, this is bad. I have done a 2 week ophthalmology rotation at as part of 3rd year (and will have 1-2 letters of rec), but the hospital doesn't have an ophthalmology residency.

As I see it, I have a few options:
  1. Go ahead and submit my app possibly without an away rotation.
  2. Take a research year (a little excessive as I already have significant publications) and get some away rotations in then.
  3. Go for radiology instead. Not ideal as I don't have radiology-specific research.
  4. ???
Any advice? I'm a little lost here. Is it plausible to overcome dearth of aways with other aspects of application (step, research, etc.)?

You dont need radiology specific research for rads if the rest of your app looks good. just throwing that in