Ophthalmology Match with Low Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ns1960

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an M3 that has been hoping to apply to ophthalmology and just got my STEP 1 score of 229, which isn't stellar.

I attend a very small allopathic, research-focused med school. I've done a lot of non-ophtho research in undergrad + med school and received a few fellowships for my research throughout med school as well. I also have some leadership and volunteer work. My school does not have a home program for ophtho, but there is a private clinic in town that partners with us and allows us to rotate with them if we are interested in the field.

I know it'll be tough, but wondering what my chances are and what I could do going forward to improve them.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but a 229 is not going to cut it for ophtho.

Sent from my BND-L34 using SDN mobile

If you’re set on it, take a gap year and do tons of research. I’d say very low odds without a gap year though and don’t count on third year to allow you time to research.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, to have a shot you need everything else on your application to be stellar (grades, step 2, research, performance on aways, letters of recommendation), so you have an uphill battle but I don't think 229 puts you dead in the water either. You really need an academic contact. I'm sure the private guys are great and you should rotate with them but you really need to get connected with people in academics. Is there a school near you that has a residency program that might take you under their wing?

Reactions: 1 user
a 229 is low for optho, but you should not give up if it is the only thing you see yourself doing. Take a year and put out some good quality research. furthermore, networking is very important in your position. make some new friends in high places in your optho department that can go to bat for you when you need it

I think you're aware a 229 lowers your chances, but it's not an absolute disqualifier. I know several high 220s/low 230s who matched. Generally these people either had strong research-based connections, or had a decently big name to write them a strong LoR. Two of these people made their big-name connections during stellar away rotations, so it's feasible even without a home ophtho program.

With that said, these are anecdotes. It's obviously much harder with a lower score. But as long as you're reasonable about your chances, and consider taking a research year or applying to a backup specialty, I wouldn't immediately dismiss the idea out of hand. If you tend to do well on rotations and think you'd be able to stand out on an away rotation, doing a couple aways early (if your medical school will allow it; some do because ophtho is early match) will help your chances. You really have to knock those aways out of the park, though, which involves a bit of luck depending on who you work with. Use your local ophthalmologists for any pubs you can get out of them, and rotate with them frequently to shore up your weakness so you're ready to make a good impression when you start your away rotations.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!! I definitely figured it was an uphill battle, but it's nice to know all is not lost. I have a good relationship with the local ophtho private practice and they are willing to connect us with others and do what they can to help, so I feel good about that. Will definitely look into a couple of academic centers nearby and see if I can spend some time with them and hop on some research, since most of my research thus far has focused on various cancers. Won't be the end of the world if I don't match though, there's still other stuff like hem/onc that I think I may be interested in. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user