Ophthalmology newsletter for medical students, residents, and fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on publishing the first issue of an ophthalmology newsletter written by residents, fellows, and ophthalmologists. The newsletter has several contributions from doctors around the U.S. about various topics: how to survive as an intern, tips for residents, board tips, book reviews, interesting cases, review of your ophthalmology training program, interviews with a resident who survived Katrina, and more. This newsletter is designed for you, so email me about ideas and topics you think is particularly helpful.

There will be about 4 newsletters a year. If you would like to contribute as an author or you have suggestions, then please send me an email at: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Andrew_Doan said:
I'm working on publishing the first issue of an ophthalmology newsletter written by residents, fellows, and ophthalmologists. The newsletter has several contributions from doctors around the U.S. about various topics: how to survive as an intern, tips for residents, board tips, book reviews, interesting cases, review of your ophthalmology training program, interviews with a resident who survived Katrina, and more. This newsletter is designed for you, so email me about ideas and topics you think is particularly helpful.

There will be about 4 newsletters a year. If you would like to contribute as an author or you have suggestions, then please send me an email at: [email protected]

Is this going to be an electronic newsletter like the Academy Express email we all get, or something on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
so if you have an article that you "think" may be a good ad to the newsletterl, and you send it and, luckily, it gets in -> can you put this on your CV like a published paper?

i am sorry to ask this but i need to boost up my CV as much as I can!!

On the CV, there are areas for "peer reviewed publications" and "non-peer reviewed publications".

This newsletter is non-peer reviewed, and articles can be listed in that area of your CV. The newsletter will have a volume and issue number so the articles can be cited.

Andrew_Doan said:
On the CV, there are areas for "peer reviewed publications" and "non-peer reviewed publications".

This newsletter is non-peer reviewed, and articles can be listed in that area of your CV. The newsletter will have a volume and issue number so the articles can be cited.

Great. Dr. Doan you have a PM.

http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/

The Pearls in Ophthalmology Newsletter was created to provide an electronic publication for students, residents, fellows, and new graduates. As editor, my goal is to assemble articles that will be of interest to members-in-training and young ophthalmologists. Articles will be written by ophthalmology faculty, residents, fellows, and practicing ophthalmologists.

Future topics will deal with pearls during training, how to prepare for residency and fellowship, how to apply for sub-specialty training, pearls for private practice, and more. We encourage our readers to submit articles that may benefit others. We will also publish case presentations. Please review the guidelines for case presentations (http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/2006/06/case-presentation-guidelines.html).

The Internet allows the delivery of content in all forms of media. Similar to why television programs are “free”, we believe high quality educational materials should also be accessible and “free” for those who seek to learn. In order to provide you with high quality educational materials, we seek the support of advertisers. Our corporate sponsors, however, do not influence the editorial content of our educational materials. We encourage you to visit our sponsors’ websites to show your support of the MedRounds’ educational mission and learn about their services and products.

I encourage you to forward the newsletter to your colleagues and to contribute articles by e-mailing me: [email protected]

We are excited to offer this publication.

Andrew Doan, MD, PhD

Editor-In-Chief
Comprehensive Ophthalmology & Ocular Pathology