MD Ophthalmology preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Y_A_S

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone; pleased to post my fisrt thread on SDN.
I am considering ophthalmology. I am a second year medical student. I wonder what possible reading, courses, preparations i should consider to increase my likelyhood of matching, in addition to the USMLE scores, of course.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do as well as possible on Step 1 (aim for 240+) and clinical rotations (especially medicine, surgery, and of course ophtho as an MS4)
2. Start networking in your institution's Ophtho department and get some clinical research projects going
3. ???
4. Profit

Reactions: 1 user
I am considering ophthalmology. I am a second year medical student. I wonder what possible reading, courses, preparations i should consider to increase my likelyhood of matching, in addition to the USMLE scores, of course.
Thanks in advance!

I can't provide much since I haven't started school yet, though I've worked in ophthalmology for a few years... All my mentors have said they had a decent amount of applicable research on deck before they entered the match. They mentioned to start early since the match for ophtho is a bit different, it is more difficult to cram research. I imagine good step and grades are a part of matching to any competitive specialty. Some of them also mentioned that networking through away rotations was pretty crucial (they matched at these places).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks in advance!
Try the ophtho forums?

Also read the the ophtho book here - The free online ophthalmology book! - TimRoot.com. There's a free version of the PDF somewhere, I'm just too lazy to find the link. It's a good start, and he has videos of the chapters covered in the book on his website too.

1. Do as well as possible on Step 1 (aim for 240+) and clinical rotations (especially medicine, surgery, and of course ophtho as an MS4)
2. Start networking in your institution's Ophtho department and get some clinical research projects going
3. ???
4. Profit
Thanks!