Ophthalmology residency match guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvislisel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I wrote a fairly exhaustive guide to the preparation, application, and interview process for the ophthalmology residency match for our medical students at the University of Iowa. By word of mouth it inadvertently filtered out to many of the applicants across the country. This year, I've revised the guide and would like it to be available to all applicants through our website, EyeRounds. You can find it using the link below. For those who prefer PDFs, there is a link at the top of the page. I hope you all find the guide useful!

http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/tutorials/iowa-guide-to-the-ophthalmology-match/index.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Your guide is amazing. Care to write one on being a successful resident and the fellowship match ? ;)

This document has been a boon, a godsend. Thanks so much for writing this, Dr. Vislisel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I wrote a fairly exhaustive guide to the preparation, application, and interview process for the ophthalmology residency match for our medical students at the University of Iowa. By word of mouth it inadvertently filtered out to many of the applicants across the country. This year, I've revised the guide and would like it to be available to all applicants through our website, EyeRounds. You can find it using the link below. For those who prefer PDFs, there is a link at the top of the page. I hope you all find the guide useful!

http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/tutorials/iowa-guide-to-the-ophthalmology-match/index.htm

Thank you for writing this. It has been so helpful during the application process! One question. You said, "Additionally, USMLE Board scores are released to the SF Match program electronically when you give them permission on their website. They give you the option of automatically updating your application whenever a new score becomes available, but it is in your best interest to decline. If you do receive your Step 2 score during the application process, you then have the option of releasing it to programs if you scored well, while retaining it if you didn’t."

I haven't been able to locate this option. As someone who hasn't gotten their step 2 back yet and doesn't know if I will beat my step one score I was wondering how I can make sure it won't be uploaded automatically.

I wonder how accurate that is for SF match since we just send in our USMLE score report ourselves. It sounds like that is talking more about the button on ERAS for intern year where if you press it it will resubmit the most recent USMLE scores. I called SF match yesterday about this because I was planning on leaving my step 2 ck off, but our school made us take it in September and I ended up scoring higher than step 1 so I just decided to include it with SF and ERAS. The guy I talked to at SF match told me to update it in my profile on the SF match website and then send in a copy of my score report as a "supplemental document" for SF match to distribute to programs.