MD Ophthalmology residency match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohammad1376

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how I can apply for ophthalmology residency as an IMG
15C62952-4995-4572-A624-32AF19678EB2.png

Members don't see this ad.

You have to complete a year-long internship at an ACGME approved program. Most people do a transitional year program, here's the list. You can do your PGY-1 year in internal medicine, surgery or even pediatrics. From the AAO: Residency Match - American Academy of Ophthalmology

All you have to do is match into a PGY-1 year through presumably ERAS/NRMP, complete that and then apply through the ophthalmology match. I don't know why it works that way, but that's how it works.

You have to complete a year-long internship at an ACGME approved program. Most people do a transitional year program, here's the list. You can do your PGY-1 year in internal medicine, surgery or even pediatrics. From the AAO: Residency Match - American Academy of Ophthalmology

All you have to do is match into a PGY-1 year through presumably ERAS/NRMP, complete that and then apply through the ophthalmology match. I don't know why it works that way, but that's how it works.

Jesus christ this is not true at all... are you a premed?

You apply for PGY1 and PGY2 at the same time. this year all PGY1s will be at the same institutions, some joint, others integrated.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i am new to these things . only got ecfmg certified last year
can someone explain in details for an IMG how to get this PGY-1 year ?
i mean to start from where ? walk me step by step ?
thanks in advance

Jesus christ this is not true at all... are you a premed?

You apply for PGY1 and PGY2 at the same time. this year all PGY1s will be at the same institutions, some joint, others integrated.
i am new to these things . only got ecfmg certified last year
can someone explain in details for an IMG how to get this PGY-1 year ?
i mean to start from where ? walk me step by step ?
thanks in advance

It's going to be impossible to get into ophthalmology in the US for img! Rethink your goal. Sincere advice. Unless you have a usmle step 1 score of 275!

Most programs will have a joint or integrated internship for the 2021 match. If integrated you only have to match through SF match. If joint you'll have to apply through ERAS as well but you don't need to interview, they'll give you an ID number for the specific joint internship program and you enter this only number in the match, program enters your number and it's a match. There may a few programs that will not have a joint or integrated internship as residency programs have a couple of years of grace period to accomplish this, if you match in one of those you have to find a preliminary internship through ERAS match (IM, surgery or transitional).

Being an IMG your options will be limited, it might be a good idea to start the process through both SF match and ERAS. Best of luck!