ophthalmology...sleeping volcano about to erupt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nv45

nv45
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else feel that the demand for ophthalmology will just shoot up like crazy in the next decade i've heard that the demand right now is still kinda steady but with the number of baby boomers that are going to retire, I feel like ophthalmology will just erupt from its sleepy status right now...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
anyone else feel that the demand for ophthalmology will just shoot up like crazy in the next decade i've heard that the demand right now is still kinda steady but with the number of baby boomers that are going to retire, I feel like ophthalmology will just erupt from its sleepy status right now...

Maybe like Kilauea, but not Mt. St. Helens. As the Baby Boomer cohort ages, there will be a proportional rise in demand for clinical services. But with the unknown ability of the Medicare system to support the future beneficiary population to the standards of access enjoyed by beneficiaries today, the way that demand will be expressed is far less certain.

Most fields of medicine predominately take care of elderly. So ophtho is in no way different from other fields with the aging boomer population. The problem is that medicaire isn't going to be able to pay well.

Isn't the OD = opthamology equivalency discussion, the next volcano to blow up?