Ophthalmology vs. Orthopedic Surgery Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCTrojan11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still trying to understand this:

So Ophtho has a much earlier match around January with lists having to be completed by then. If you match in the early match, are you stuck in Ophtho? For example, two fields that I find quite similar are orthopedic hand and ophtho (love fine surgery). What if you wanted mostly optho but may a shot at some higher orthos? Is that even possible?

I know people apply to a few different somewhat specialties such as PM&R and Ortho. Is it possible to apply to both Optho and Ortho? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wherever you match, you're legally and contractually bound to train at that program. I guess theoretically you could apply to both ortho and ophtho but once you certify your list through the SF match, you have to "withdraw" from the NRMP match (i.e. categorical spots). So, it seems rather moot even interviewing for ortho at that point. I suggest you do some introspection throughout clinicals and make a decision one way or the other.

Can't you withdraw after the ophtho match? The nrmp list gets certified after SF match results come out

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, two fields that I find quite similar are orthopedic hand and ophtho (love fine surgery).

Can't really contribute to OP's question. But I gotta say, the only thing these specialties have in common is that they are both surgical. They are pretty much at opposite ends of the surgical spectrum.

Can't you withdraw after the ophtho match? The nrmp list gets certified after SF match results come out

Yea, it's why I used quotations. He'll obviously still need to secure a prelim spot through the NRMP but clearly can't rank any categorical spots. It's why applying to both specialties makes little sense logistically.

Um a lot of surgeries in ortho are not as "fine" or delicate as optho surgeries, to get to hand you have to do 5 years of trauma, reconstructions, hips, sports injuries etc most of which aren't as "fine" as hand surgery

All matches share the results with one another. Example: a DO student who is in military applies via military match and SF match and osteopathic match and NRMP match. If he matches in an earlier match (military match occurs before NRMP) he will be automatically withdrawn from the later matches.

Um a lot of surgeries in ortho are not as "fine" or delicate as optho surgeries, to get to hand you have to do 5 years of trauma, reconstructions, hips, sports injuries etc most of which aren't as "fine" as hand surgery

I was thinking the same thing but a lot of the JSEI residents I've talked to said they were strongly considering ortho hand when they applied since they said it was so similar. I've never seen a hand surgery, only regular ortho.

Regardless, I really like ortho so I wasn't sure if I would have to decide by the time applications roll around. Also, is there a scramble after the SF match posts? Or are there too few spots for it to be significant.

You could do the combined ortho-hand/ophtho residency, but most people don't have the hand-eye coordination for it.

Reactions: 1 users
You could do the combined ortho-hand/ophtho residency, but most people don't have the hand-eye coordination for it.

gallery_37445_35019_3989174014c3353aabc164.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Can't really contribute to OP's question. But I gotta say, the only thing these specialties have in common is that they are both surgical. They are pretty much at opposite ends of the surgical spectrum.

...and they both start with O

OP are you sure you know about these two fields? They're completely different. Not to mention if you try to apply to both you're probably not going to be very successful in the match.
The ophtho programs will wonder why you have ortho subi rotations early in your fourth year and ortho programs will wonder why you have ophtho subi rotations. Are you also going to do research in both fields? The residency programs might pass you over because you're not committed.

These matches are difficult enough that you want to be 100% dedicated to 1 field.