Ophthalmoscope & Otoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHopeless

The Monkey is In
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any of you guys know which one is good? I heard about Heine, but which model should I get and also does 2.5V and 3.5V really matter? Is there any other alternative that I should look at? I am just a 1st year student by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

everyone at my school went with welch allyn. 3.5v is the way to go. 2.5 is really dim (and don't get one of those pocket sets...they're not bright enough and you can't see much).

for the most part, your best bet is to get the one your school recommends...that's the one they'll expect you to be comfortable with and know how to use.

and don't let the sales people talk you into the expensive pan-optic head...you'll rarely see those in clinics, so you'll need to know how to use the "traditional" head...and it'll save you at least $100

Agree with 3.5V. Otherwise, don't fret over this decision. Beyond med school, you will likely have little use for these devices other than party tricks. I've used them on my dog more often than real patients. Don't go cheap, but look for the best deal. Don't think you'll get mad respect on the wards, or diagnose some really obscure disease, because you happened to have the right ophthalmoscope.

Members don't see this ad :)
my biggest regret of my 2nd year so far is actually buying one of those stupid things. even though they told us we needed one, we're well past our ENT and eye stuff and could have gotten away without it.

really be sure you need one. I could have bought a Wii instead. 2 of them.

Seriously, I'm a neurology resident and I look in eyes all day long and I don't even own an ophthalmoscope. My advice would be the following: I

1. If you are going to work in a really destitute hospital where no one can EVER find an ophthalmoscope, then think about buying a cheap one.

2. If you are going into pediatrics and diagnosing ear infections 'til the cows come home, then think about buying a cheap one.

3. If you're so desperate for recognition that you're willing to carry around an extra 3 pounds of tools on the off chance that you get to be the "well prepared med student" just once, then think about buying a cheap one.

4. If you can envision yourself being the hero on the subway that correctly diagnoses a central retinal vein thrombosis in the woman sitting next to you when she suddenly develops transient monocular blindness, then think about buying a cheap one.

5. If you like scaring patients, or if you are going into ophtho, ENT, or neurology, think briefly about buying a Pan-optic, then blow it off and find yourself a residency that gives you book money for that sort of thing. Then take the money you would have spent and blow it all on hats.

unless you are absolutely, incontrovertibly required to get a opthalmoscope and otoscope, don't waste your money. i've never been to a clinic that didn't have them in every room or have a portable one for use in rooms that don't have them.

really, never.

if you have to buy one, don't waste your money on the panoptic models. you do not need one. it is literally a waste of money. who on earth would carry one of those bulky things around in their coat?

this is not just my opinion, but rather the collective opinion of just about everyone on SDN who has ever commented on this topic (it comes up periodically).

Seriously, I'm a neurology resident and I look in eyes all day long and I don't even own an ophthalmoscope. My advice would be the following: I

1. If you are going to work in a really destitute hospital where no one can EVER find an ophthalmoscope, then think about buying a cheap one.

2. If you are going into pediatrics and diagnosing ear infections 'til the cows come home, then think about buying a cheap one.

3. If you're so desperate for recognition that you're willing to carry around an extra 3 pounds of tools on the off chance that you get to be the "well prepared med student" just once, then think about buying a cheap one.

4. If you can envision yourself being the hero on the subway that correctly diagnoses a central retinal vein thrombosis in the woman sitting next to you when she suddenly develops transient monocular blindness, then think about buying a cheap one.

5. If you like scaring patients, or if you are going into ophtho, ENT, or neurology, think briefly about buying a Pan-optic, then blow it off and find yourself a residency that gives you book money for that sort of thing. Then take the money you would have spent and blow it all on hats.

2) put your junk in the box

I bought a really really cheap one on Ebay (oto+opth scopes were $100) and my friend who bought the $700 Welch-Allyn with both panoptic and coaxial heads was dismayed to realize that the light from my opthalmoscope was better than the light from his. Ha.

I bought a really really cheap one on Ebay (oto+opth scopes were $100) and my friend who bought the $700 Welch-Allyn with both panoptic and coaxial heads was dismayed to realize that the light from my opthalmoscope was better than the light from his. Ha.

What model was it? Did you buy the portable set or the full one?

I wouldnt buy anything if I were you. I bought a panoptic from an upperclassman for like 250 bucks and I have never used it. They have these things in hospitals and clinics, you really don't want to lug anything extra around. Many of us are lugging enough around in terms of pocket books, PDAs, and such.

Dont buy it!:eek: