Ophtho Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc-sted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current DO third year. Someone with experience please chime in and tell me what you think:

-South West DO program
-MSII Class Rank 58/256
-USMLE Step 1: 238
-Sigma Sigma Phi
-Manuscript submitted, 1st Author Ophtho Publication in Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Poster won best in class at Boston Ophtho Conference
-3rd Author Publication in Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
-3 Month Ophtho Research Internship during MS1 Summer
-Ophthalmology Medical Mission
-LOR's from two big wigs
-President of Ophthalmology Interest group

What are your honest thoughts? Do I have a chance? What more can I do to stand out or be competitive? I appreciate your time reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably would help to post this in the Ophthalmology forum.

Are you wanting to do OGME or ACGME accredited residencies? I assume ACGME since you provided a USMLE score... I don't have the experience to tell you if you're good but I can tell you that getting an ophtho MD residency is pretty much next to the hardest thing you could do... From what I have researched at least. D.O. Residencies would be a better bet but the problem is that the ophtho programs OGME accredited tend to have a lot less surgeries associated with them or their didactics just plain suck... There is lots of info about specific programs in the ophtho forums though if you're interested, as well as ophtho candidates stats that made it and yes both D.O. And M.D. Are included in that list

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you wanting to do OGME or ACGME accredited residencies? I assume ACGME since you provided a USMLE score... I don't have the experience to tell you if you're good but I can tell you that getting an ophtho MD residency is pretty much next to the hardest thing you could do... From what I have researched at least. D.O. Residencies would be a better bet but the problem is that the ophtho programs OGME accredited tend to have a lot less surgeries associated with them or their didactics just plain suck... There is lots of info about specific programs in the ophtho forums though if you're interested, as well as ophtho candidates stats that made it and yes both D.O. And M.D. Are included in that list
I would be happy to do either AOA or ACGME.

The SUNYs are known to take DOs for ophthalmology, among other places.