1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Ophtho in metro-Chicago?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by m3unsure, Jul 28, 2006.

1. m3unsure

m3unsure Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone,

I was talking it over with a fellow, and he said that ophtho is taking a big hit from the outsiders a.k.a ODs. He said a general ophthalmologist starts at only 90k in cities (at least Chitown). What the heck is that? I understand people like to say the generic "do what you love," but that is low as #$#) for 8 years of training. Does anyone else know some "real" starting salaries? I would find it hard to believe people would practically pursure something like this. I know reimbursements will continue to drop, but this is crazy place to start, especially if I have to consider taking care of my parents. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mattie113

mattie113 totally awesome
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

that is a tad bit low but not completely unusual for gen optho in a big city. try this link to find starting salaries for various levels of training: https://secure3.aao.org/professionalchoices/search.cfm?