Ophtho in metro-Chicago?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by m3unsure, Jul 28, 2006.

1. m3unsure

m3unsure Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone,

I was talking it over with a fellow, and he said that ophtho is taking a big hit from the outsiders a.k.a ODs. He said a general ophthalmologist starts at only 90k in cities (at least Chitown). What the heck is that? I understand people like to say the generic "do what you love," but that is low as #$#) for 8 years of training. Does anyone else know some "real" starting salaries? I would find it hard to believe people would practically pursure something like this. I know reimbursements will continue to drop, but this is crazy place to start, especially if I have to consider taking care of my parents. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mattie113

mattie113 totally awesome
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

that is a tad bit low but not completely unusual for gen optho in a big city. try this link to find starting salaries for various levels of training: https://secure3.aao.org/professionalchoices/search.cfm?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...