m3unsure

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone,

I was talking it over with a fellow, and he said that ophtho is taking a big hit from the outsiders a.k.a ODs. He said a general ophthalmologist starts at only 90k in cities (at least Chitown). What the heck is that? I understand people like to say the generic "do what you love," but that is low as #$#) for 8 years of training. Does anyone else know some "real" starting salaries? I would find it hard to believe people would practically pursure something like this. I know reimbursements will continue to drop, but this is crazy place to start, especially if I have to consider taking care of my parents. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

mattie113

totally awesome
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
m3unsure said:
Hey everyone,

I was talking it over with a fellow, and he said that ophtho is taking a big hit from the outsiders a.k.a ODs. He said a general ophthalmologist starts at only 90k in cities (at least Chitown). What the heck is that? I understand people like to say the generic "do what you love," but that is low as #$#) for 8 years of training. Does anyone else know some "real" starting salaries? I would find it hard to believe people would practically pursure something like this. I know reimbursements will continue to drop, but this is crazy place to start, especially if I have to consider taking care of my parents. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

that is a tad bit low but not completely unusual for gen optho in a big city. try this link to find starting salaries for various levels of training: https://secure3.aao.org/professionalchoices/search.cfm?

About the Ads