Ophtho Options for Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nfish1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am curious about what tier/level of residency program I should apply to for the upcoming cycle in Ophtho, here is a quick snapshot of my application:

STEP1: 254
STEP2:260
Med school: USMD, Top40, but my home department is not in the top 20
Clerkships: Unfortunately I suck, but I have 3/6 honors (Honors in Surgery, Family, and psych), HP in Peds, Ob, and IM
Research: 4 publications in Cardiology, 3 publications in Ophto (one is first author, other are 2nd and third), 1 publication in vascular surgery. 4 poster presentations. 1 case report in Ophtho
Ex:- President of Dance club at school
-set-up COVID related volunteer project with school where we trained students on how to do follow-up phone calls with patient discharged during pandemic.
-Worked on an online project with my ophtho department (want to be nebulous about this as this will be very specific to me
Region: I am from Philly, and would like to match in the NE

I guess I really don't know what to make of my application, because I feel that its okay but my grades from third year suck, at-least according to my school advisor. I know it sounds neurotic but what tier of residencies should I be looking at, especially given how competitive ophtho is I can't judge myself...., and my discussion with my advisor didn't really help. He basically focused on my grades and said I wasn't an "incredible candidate, but just okay"

Dream would be to get into a top20 program. My goal is to take a year off also, do you think that will help towards my goal or do my clerkship grades automatically screw me out of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk, that 254 step 1 and 9 publications may hold you back. Maybe you should apply family med instead

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably best to ask this in the ophtho forum if you haven't already

Reactions: 1 user
Dance club will probably knock you out of any top 20s.

Stop being neurotic about this..!
You are Ok.., aim for top 20 and beyond and wherever you land, make sure you do the best out of it and move on!

Reactions: 1 users
Closing this thread.

Active thread can be followed here:

Status
Not open for further replies.