This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophthodoc2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Just concentrate on learning Ophtho. I'm pretty sure some programs ban their residents from moonlighting because it will interfere with them learning/productivity. You will earn tons of $$ as an attending, so dont sweat the small salary of residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I never had free time in residency. During your "off" time, you should be reading or doing research. Not see patients in an urgent care clinic for strep throat.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason why ophtho is so strict about it is because ophtho residency is like doing medschool and residency at the same time.
In other residencies your medschool and rotation knowledge kind of kickstart you on the basics of your residency. With ophtho you are trying to just learn basic exam skills and learn completely new anatomy/physio/pharm/path concurrently, then develop mastery while having figure out microsurgery. The hours may be more limited in residency but there's a lot of after hours work you need to put in.

Reactions: 2 users
I was able to moonlight as a senior, but it involved diabetic retinopathy screenings on a Saturday. I did not do any moonlighting in the traditional sense (in the ER or as a hospitalist). Some places let you moonlight by doing refractions or other similar tasks. I got paid really well with diabetic retinopathy screenings - it worked out to roughly 200-250 an hour, for only a morning's worth of work. However, our situation in residency was really unique.

I really would not go the route of normal moonlighting. In addition to what the posters have said above, you may be in major trouble if something happens that leads to a really bad outcome. Your residency program may not be able to support you or have your back, and worst case scenario you may find yourself in probation or even expulsion.

Yes this is what probably meant to ask. I did not really want to/intend to moonlight in the ER/floor as a medicine resident. How were you able to arrange doing diabetic screenings/what was setting you were employed in and by who? Was an attending staffing you? Thanks!

We could only do it as seniors, and it was done through the VA as part of their quality protocols for diabetics (all diabetics need routine eye exam at the VA). This was something that was present for years prior to me being a resident, and I believe was initially born out of the high need for diabetic fundus exams with the absurdly high number of diabetics we have in my state. The paperwork was a major hassle and headache but the pay was good.

It was honestly a win all for everyone. Veterans got their eyes screened quickly - if there was any significant DR or other pathology (we once picked up a melanoma, another with a retinal detachment, but it was also a good source for cataracts), we got them triaged into the eye clinic at the VA. Else, they only had to come once a year. This helped reduce wait times at the VA significantly, and we all got paid handsomely for our services for relatively little work.

However, our situation was quite unique, and I don't think it would be possible at other VAs or clinics without the right situation. I've heard of residents having a refraction clinic at optometry chains to earn extra cash in nearby states, but that's about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Our program does not allow us to moonlight. Honestly, we don't have "free time" to do so anyway.