Opinion on combined FP/psych.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benjee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Does anyone know about combined program FP/psych.?What I want to know are future prospect,advantages,disadvantages beside the longer period of cheap labour,...etc?Any response will be appreciated.Thanx in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

thats-my-opinion-i-did-two-residencies

Hi Dr. Wolkman,
since U did 2 residencies, would u mind telling what are they and what kind of impact on ur practice besides the scope of practice?What I mean is the cost of malpractice insu. fee,competitiveness as compared with other practicing clinicans, the type of practice setting..etc. I understand this is a broad question but please address it as much as possible b/c this helps what my future direction 's going to be.Thanks.
Happy New Yr!

Originally posted by benjee
Hi All,
Does anyone know about combined program FP/psych.?What I want to know are future prospect,advantages,disadvantages beside the longer period of cheap labour,...etc?Any response will be appreciated.Thanx in advance.

I can tell you that attrition in the U of MN's joint psych/FP program is high. The buzz is that it's attractive to people who are initially indifferent between programs, but that they usually opt for one specialty before they get double-boarded. The specialty they stay with is usually psych.

I heard of one person finding they're ideal job that was just tailor-made to double-boarding, and I've heard of another of others getting much higher offers for psychiatry positions than FP and opting for psych. Also, I met one person who managed to finished the FP/Psych program, but is now a child psychiatry fellow.