Opinion on Diversity Prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diasterdream

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently drafting some thoughts on the diversity prompt, and I wanted to get some thoughts if any of these would be good.

1. Being a first gen American, and watching my parents build their lives from the ground up. Gave me a strong perspective about duty, hard work, and sacrifice. It also fostered my belief in community, collaboration, and giving back because I was deeply affected by witnessing all the ways people stopped to help my family when we were struggling. It is at the center of my perspective/philosophy on life. It also pushed me to pursue the volunteering projects I currently do.
(Potential issue - many premeds are first gen and can talk about the struggles of building a new life. Also I feel like I have touched some of this sentiment in my personal statement).

2. Passion for art - Have drawn and painted since I was able to hold a pencil. I have submitted some of my pieces to art galleries and competitions. I never won but still enjoyed seeing my work up there for people to see. Additionally, I used art as way to get a child to open up to me about his home life, and I used to bring art supplies and teach kids how to draw while I volunteered at a homeless shelter.
(Potential issue - This topic feels shallow to me. I don't know really how to discuss this as bringing diversity to medical school)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am currently drafting some thoughts on the diversity prompt, and I wanted to get some thoughts if any of these would be good.

1. Being a first gen American, and watching my parents build their lives from the ground up. Gave me a strong perspective about duty, hard work, and sacrifice. It also fostered my belief in community, collaboration, and giving back because I was deeply affected by witnessing all the ways people stopped to help my family when we were struggling. It is at the center of my perspective/philosophy on life. It also pushed me to pursue the volunteering projects I currently do.
(Potential issue - many premeds are first gen and can talk about the struggles of building a new life. Also I feel like I have touched some of this sentiment in my personal statement).

2. Passion for art - Have drawn and painted since I was able to hold a pencil. I have submitted some of my pieces to art galleries and competitions. I never won but still enjoyed seeing my work up there for people to see. Additionally, I used art as way to get a child to open up to me about his home life, and I used to bring art supplies and teach kids how to draw while I volunteered at a homeless shelter.
(Potential issue - This topic feels shallow to me. I don't know really how to discuss this as bringing diversity to medical school)
Can you combine the two?

I think both topics are great actually.
Depends on whichever one you feel you can write about more strongly.
On your last point, are most premeds really first gen? Alternatively I find the premed crowd to be a rather middle class/well to do crowd/citizens etc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you combine the two?

I think I can combine the two. I got my first art supply kit from a Christmas donation drive when my parents couldn't afford it. It was one of the many times I was impacted by the generosity of strangers. I guess I have carried that with me when I interact with people. Probably why I was inclined to give back to the kids.

I think I can combine the two. I got my first art supply kit from a Christmas donation drive when my parents couldn't afford it. It was one of the many times I was impacted by the generosity of strangers. I guess I have carried that with me when I interact with people. Probably why I was inclined to give back to the kids.

Perfect! Love it, run with it! Go write that essay

Reactions: 1 users
I think both topics are great actually.
Depends on whichever one you feel you can write about more strongly.
On your last point, are most premeds really first gen? Alternatively I find the premed crowd to be a rather middle class/well to do crowd/citizens etc

I may have pulled that out of thin air. I feel like first generation is a common thing people talk about with this prompt. I could be wrong.

I may have pulled that out of thin air. I feel like first generation is a common thing people talk about with this prompt. I could be wrong.

Yes that could be true but thru this process if anything I noticed that especially at the t20-30 schools, the cohort is concentrated in rather well to do students or children of doctors.
Anyhow, i like your diversity essay. You should do it:)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree! I think first gen isn’t as common as you’d expect. I think it’s going to be a really fun read (as far as diversity essays go)!